PDA

View Full Version : Leather Cleaner question...

Pages : [1] 2

BRUHA
08-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I have been using a 6:1 Woolite mix to clean my interior lately. I noticed that with a semi-stiff bristle brush, the Woolite works wonders on my vinyl and door panels. But when it comes to my leather seats...the Woolite removes removes some dirt but not as much as I would like. Is this just a lack of elbow grease on my part...should I go over the seat 2 or 3 times?

Anyway...my original quesiton was going to be if anyone had used Gliptones Leather Cleaner. I spilled a small amount of their APC on back seat and noticed that when I wiped it off, all of the dirt under the spill was gone (basically it seems like it cleaned the small spot on the seat). I really don;t want to use their APC on my seats, but know that they have a leather cleaner. Any thoughts...any reviews on that product???

CharlesW
08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Your leather is most likely coated, as is mine. Because of that, I would be careful about using too much "elbow grease" in the cleaning process.
The Woolite 6:1 with a terry cloth works pretty good for me. My seats don`t get terribly dirty since I clean them about every 3 to 4 weeks.
I don`t know anything about the Gliptone products.
Although I haven`t used it, I have heard lots of good things about the 4 Star Ultimate Leather cleaner. I have used and really like the 4 Star Ultimate Leather Conditioner, though.

kayel17
08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
I`ve had very good success with the Woollite mix and 0000 Steel Wool. For pics see the following thread:
http://detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5879&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

RJ SD
08-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Are light scouring pads and simple green (diluted) okay to use on heavily soiled seats? Sorry if that sounds like a really dumb question.

CharlesW
08-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by RJ SD
Are light scouring pads and simple green (diluted) okay to use on heavily soiled seats? Sorry if that sounds like a really dumb question. It doesn`t sound like a combination I would use. Pretty strong chemical, pretty abrasive applicator. :dunno

Charles

RJ SD
08-11-2004, 05:56 PM
I only did it once, because a terry cloth and 4* leather cleaner just wasn`t cutting it on 6 year old dirt spots.

kimwallace
08-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Using too strong of a cleaner on leather can actually remove some of the dye used to color the leather.
Also keep in mind that the more abrasive of a cloth, brush, etc. that is used to scrub is wearing the surface of the leather,cloth or vinyl that you cleaning.

RJ SD
08-11-2004, 06:41 PM
kimwallace, thank you, I didn`t think about the dye being removed, I was just afraid of scuff marks.

Is there a good way to clean heavily soiled leather seats? What if they`re protected, should conditioner be used?

RJ SD
08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hijack

CharlesW
08-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hijack I don`t really know the definition of Hijacking a thread, but you seem to still be on the thread subject.
Don`t worry about it. You aren`t gonna get bashed here.

(Unless The Fuzz catches you spamming. then you are fair game!)

Charles

kimwallace
08-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Is there a good way to clean heavily soiled leather seats? What if they`re protected, should conditioner be used?

Just like polishing paint, I always start with the safest approach first.
I use 4* Leather cleaner and have cleaned some fairly soiled seats. My approach is to apply the cleaner as directed with a terry cloth ... rub it in ... rub it in ... rub it in.
Then I wipe with a dry towel
Then I go over the seats a couple times with a damp towel, rinse it out and go over the seat again. This seems to remove even more dirt.
Let everything dry and either use 4* conditioner or repeat the cleaning process.
When I have used heavy duty cleaners in the past to remove heavy soil, it seemed to make the leather stiff, even after conditioning.
Sometimes though you just need to do what it takes to get it clean. Always try a small hidden area first.

tomp
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
I like the Lexol system. It`s not pricey ($5-7/bottle) and it`s available at most auto stores.

I use the cleaner first, rubbing it in with a damp rag or a soft brush. Then I wipe it off with a damp rag and dry immediately with a terry towel. I don`t like to let leather remain wet.

The bucket seems to show a pretty good amount of blackened water when I use it so the product must be cleaning well.

Next I apply the conditioner liberally with my bare hand and rub it into every spot. I let it dry for 30 minutes. Then I wipe it off. I let this sit overnight.

Lexol isn`t slippery or sticky and it absorbs well. I`ve been using it for a year and I like it alot.

finemisses
09-29-2004, 06:35 PM
How in the world can I remove blue dye stains from denim from my leather seats in the yukon.. its only a prob in my seat thank goodness not all of them but will the woollite mix + 0000 pad work for this as well .. any suggestions please help!!!

kimwallace
09-29-2004, 07:37 PM
I have used the 4* Leather Cleaner for that exact problem. I rub it in with a terry cloth ... then dry ... then wipe over it with a moist cotton cloth ... dry again.
Once it is completely dry apply 4* Leather Conditioner.
In my opinion, I would not use steel woll on leather unless it is beyond repair by other methods.
The steel wool is much harder than the finish on the leather ... so you are in effect abrading away the finish with the steel wool much like you would with fine sand paper.
If you need to get more aggressive than the cotton cloth, try a soft bristle brush.
Just my opinion here ... I am sure there are others :)

kimwallace
09-29-2004, 07:38 PM
By the Way ...
Welcome to DC!!