PDA

View Full Version : buget details

Dreams911s
04-14-2003, 06:04 PM
well it is nice out finally and i need to start working on my new car 2003 Gti black the problem is that i found out i lost my job (free time to detail) it is a few months old with connecticut winter on it....i just nee the outside sugestons

I have:

pc....(used 1 to try no extra pads)

3m clay

3m qd

i have been reading this site for a long time thanks for the help:bow

imported_jgv
04-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Do you have a shampoo?? :welcome

Dreams911s
04-14-2003, 06:28 PM
i do have some cheap meguiars shampoo

Patrick
04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Dang 911, bummer, sorry to hear that...

Start with your wash, while shes still wet, clay it, small sections, front to back, hood, deck, and top....Dont rub to hard, but keep the surface lubricated to assist in your effort. After your done claying, giver her a quick wash again, this will remove any clay residue left behind.....Your going to need a polish, Id suggest, Mothers Ultimate Wax system....Pre wax cleaner, then Glaze Sealer, then their Carnauba....Its good stuff, and I know your on a budget....Good luck !

shaf
04-14-2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah, sorry to hear you`re losing your job - it sucks. On the bright side, your VW should be in good shape since it`s so new. I don`t know what pricing is like in the US, but I imagine you could substitute Meguiar`s #9 for the Mothers Pre-wax cleaner for a couple dollars more when you buy the Mothers system.

Do you have any pads for the PC?

A lot of the cost of detailing is also taken up by the accessory supplies. Things like applicators, towels, scrub brushes, etc. It`s nice to have more of each, but you can often get away with fewer if you don`t mind cleaning them often. MF towels can be costly in the quantities that people like, but some fairly inexpensive ones have been discussed. Get a real sheepskin washmit to wash with, and a couple old pails. Drying with the Ultimate Drying Technique costs absolutely nothing (except water), or maybe consider a big bath towel. Cheap foam applicators are okay I`ve heard. Get some dollar store brushes (even cut down paintbrushes maybe) to scrub the tires and wheels.

If separate wheel and tire cleaners are beyond your budget, you could probably just use an automotive all purpose cleaner (maybe Super Clean?). Waxing your wheels should allow them to be cleaned with car shampoo (if done regularly).

Even though it`s not an inexpensive item, since your car is black and summer is coming, I would invest in a California Car Duster (CCD) to keep it dust-free with less effort.

HTH

EDIT: A member named rd_volvo has mentioned making a scratch remover out of mixing corn starch with glaze. It supposedly works with some elbow grease and best of all, costs little. Try a search on this.

EDIT #2 :rolleyes: : Armor All Original for interior and tires and trim. It`s safe these days. Stay away from the clear super glossy stuff though.

Scottwax
04-14-2003, 11:58 PM
If your paint is in good shape, go with a bottle of Merguiars #9 Swirl Remover, and S100 SEC and Paste Wax. $35 worth of supplies and it should be enough for a couple of years of detailing.

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2003, 07:16 AM
Well if you lost your job, detail some cars for some extra cash :-)

Thomasfl
04-15-2003, 10:27 AM
I agree with Joed, winter is over people need their cars done. Scottwax has some good suggestions that will give you good results on a budget. As you get more money from detail jobs invest a little on more products. When I moved to FL with no job, I started detailing and even though I have a good job now I still have detail clients that I take care of and make additional cash and keep my skills up. Unemployment plus detailing = good money.