PDA

View Full Version : Just did my first Autopia detail, here`s what I conclude...

Acura_RL
04-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Sorry gang, I don`t have pics right away as I have a regular film camera, but I should have them up once the film gets developed

At any rate, I just completed a major detail on my sister`s red 2001 prelude. Very noticeable difference. I washed, clayed, washed, pre-wax cleaned, glazed with #7, and topped off with #26. I put Meg`s rubber & vinyl spray on the trim, and Endurance on the tires.

I started at 6:30 yesterday evening, came inside from the garage after claying the car at 11:30. Today, I started 8:30 and worked until 5:00.

Not everything came out perfect, but here`s what I conclude after doing all this work:

#1) I need a PC--badly!!!!! #7 was kinda tricky to apply but getting it off was not so bad. But still, my arms are killing me. I think Meguiar`s also makes a dual-action buffer, and I believe they have a cordless one for $99. I might pick that one up.

#2) I need DACP and #9, and then something for more coarse scratches and embedded water spots. Maybe even fine grit sandpaper for those obvious scratches--which were common.

#3) Waffle weave MF--time saver.

#4) More MFs--preferably from Pakshak.

#5) And lastly, I conclude this: detailing is not a hobby, it`s a sickness. This may sound funny but it sort of true!

:bounce Well, my next detail job has to go to the next level.

Lemme in on how I should "upgrade" my process. Thanks. :cool:

thevolvoguy
04-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Sounds good. I cant wait for pictures!

I would definately say go for the PC it makes things a lot easier, especially with SMR and polishes.

Also, did you know that its not nescecery to wash the car, dry, clay, then re wash? I find it a lot easier to wash, use soapy water on the wet car for lubrication, then just dry. That will save you a few steps.

Anyway, dont forget to post those pictures!! Im sure it came out great.

Accumulator
04-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Acura_RL - Teasing us, not posting pics, huh? :D Sounds like you did a good job, I hope your sister appreciates it and that you enjoyed and learned from the process.

I`m with thevolvoguy on claying while you wash. At least on most cars.

My $0.02 on some of your ideas:

1) The "regular" Meg`s buffer is, I believe, a relabeled PC. I wouldn`t try a cordless, the PC is less than industrial-strength as it is (I`ve had mine rebuilt while my older Cyclo`s still fine, with no maintenance in nearly 20 years).

2) Be careful trying to achieve a perfect finish. If you compromise the clear coat you`re looking at a repaint. I`m guessing (or hoping) that the sandpaper comment was a little facetious. DACP is usually plenty strong enough for a "real world driver".

3) & 4) :xyxthumbs

5) Remember that life is short.

Acura_RL
04-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Well my sister is picking up new film for the camera and I`ll be snapping a few shots tomorrow. This thing is not garaged, so it will be a true test to see how the paint weathers the outside environment. She`ll be driving it to work tomorrow too.

The reason why I brought up the meguiar`s buffer is because it`s cordless. I kinda like the idea of not having to drag around a long wire will buffing the paint. For the more stubborn stuff, maybe a rotary is necessary.

Oh well. I`m just really tired. :sosad :p

Acura_RL
04-14-2003, 07:02 PM
2) Be careful trying to achieve a perfect finish. If you compromise the clear coat you`re looking at a repaint. I`m guessing (or hoping) that the sandpaper comment was a little facetious. DACP is usually plenty strong enough for a "real world driver".

Well her car has no clear coat. My RL, OTOH, does. Don`t you pros use a paint meter to tell how thick the paint is? I remember Mike Philips did some neat stuff with that old BMW hood, and he actually used sandpaper on some of the major scratches.

shaf
04-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Don`t worry about not having pics - I`ve been here for almost a year and still haven`t posted any! :p :doh

1) I wouldn`t bother getting the cordless for that price. It`s probably weaker and less flexible. For a few dollars more you can get a real PC locally or from Coastal.

2) I thought I told you to have a backup plan in the last thread? ;) :D I take it the pre-wax cleaner wasn`t all that strong then...

4) The old adage is proven again: You can never have too many MFs!

5) Yes. Yes it is. :xyxthumbs