PDA

View Full Version : Looking to try new products...(advice wanted)

ThumperAC
04-14-2003, 04:30 PM
I have used about all of the Zaino products for about 18 months. I am love these products but this summer I will be detailing cars for family and friends and just want to try other products.

What do you think of the package from the Autopia Store "Autopia Perfect Shine Kit" as a start to looking at other prodcuts? Along with this kit should I get Klasse High Gloss Seaant?

As far as detailing/cleaning (non paintwork) I am looking at the "Eimann Fabrik Trade Secret Kit" from CMA. Or should I try one of the Stoners kits?

Just looking for any opinions on these. I am basically looking into a package deal to get a variety of products that work well together. I do not have a PC yet so all this will be by hand. I will be using these on a variety of colored cars (silver, red, blue and green).

imported_Smoker
04-14-2003, 05:10 PM
I use alot of Megs pro-line, stoners for glass and AIO/UPP for toppers. I keep a variety of different products depending on the age and condition of paintwork to be treated.

Mostly applied with a PC.

Its possible by hand, but = mucho work.

My view is Zaino is FAR too much work to be any use at all for a commercial detailer so I stick with stuff that has short cure times and doesnt cost alot of $$$.

Sorry to all those fanatics out there, but I just dont see it as economically viable, plus the `plasticky` shine really isnt my cup of tea.

shaf
04-14-2003, 07:21 PM
If you`re planning on working on the cars of family/friends I would definitely invest in a some more serious polishing products like DACP, some kind of swirl remover, and stuff like that (unless you have these already). Often other people`s cars have been neglected or abused, and the type of paint cleansers and polishes these detailing kits come with assumes the paint doesn`t need serious work.

I wouldn`t get Klasse SG to use on what are basically "client" cars - takes too long to do properly. On my friends` cars I simply use Megs #26, just like the real pro-detailers here, but AIO is fast and easy and so is S100, so you could do that if you choose.

Hopefully you`ll make enough money at it to get that PC you`ll probably wish you had. :D Good luck, hope this helps.

Bobby G
04-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Also... unless you buy Klasse AIO in the 3 liter jug, it`s too expensive to use for professional detailing. If you are only going to do 10-20 cars this summer, that`s one thing, but if you`re doing 3-4 a day, you might want to look into a bulk product.

Likewise with CMA`s EF products. If you`re planning to do a lot of cars, buy the stuff by the gallon or 5 gallon container and use your own spray bottles. CMA uses a quality sprayer. Even in qty, the sprayer and bottle probably run them close to $.65 per unit. By the time it gets to you, that number translates to $1.50. Invest in a few good spray bottles and buy in bulk.

ThumperAC
04-14-2003, 08:15 PM
thanks guys. At this point I only plan on doing about 10 cars all summer. But more and more I am looking into starting a small "business" in my spare time this summer. I could easily network with some of my mother`s employers. There are 4 gentlemen who started the insurance company she works at. I know them all well and they live in a high class neighborhood.

ThumperAC
04-14-2003, 10:36 PM
also do you guys recommend a specific swirl remover? Seems like eveery post someone says something different is the best.

Scottwax
04-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by ThumperAC

also do you guys recommend a specific swirl remover? Seems like eveery post someone says something different is the best.

Meguiars Swirl Free is an outstanding swirl remover. Not only does it remove light swirls (DACP for the bad stuff), but it leaves a very nice shine too.

I`ve been using mostly Meguiars Body Shop Pro line, followed by Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or Car Polishes Final Polish and topping with S100. I use Vanilla Moose on cars I wax regularly and Final Polish on ones that are not waxed as often since it is a polymer sealant.