PDA

View Full Version : water spots!!!!

imported_spooled180
04-14-2003, 02:37 PM
I am giving my friend a "babyshower" present, getting this horrible water spots off her 91 jetta.

I am using 3M rubbing compound fine cut and the wool pad and damn spots just won`t come off! :grrr

The car is practically white with the compound all broken down using the PC at 6, working it for like 10 min.

i really need help, what should a use for a atep above in abrasiveness (sp?)?

Thanks in advance:nixweiss

imported_Smoker
04-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Can ya feel the marks with ya fingernail ?

Ive seen bird bombs that feel like the surface of the moon on some paint :(

I would happily go as far as Diamond Cut with no fear of permanently damaging the paint.

Dunno what would happen with a wool pad & those abrasives tho.

I only use foam ones with the PC.

imported_spooled180
04-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Isn`t a funny coincidence or what???

While waiting for some replies, I took the Diamond Cut out, I always kept it away since the label says "only for high speed buffers", but I was like "What the heck".

Kept working with it for good 10 min as well, in this case I used the yellow foam pad, and slowly but surely it taking care of them.

:bigups :spot

imported_Smoker
04-14-2003, 03:29 PM
;)

`Fortune Favours The Brave`

imported_Homer
04-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Water spots? Try using a solution of water and vinegar. Spray on the spot, let it sit for a while, then rinse off. Repeat if necessary. Follow up with necessary products to re-protect the area.

panapower
04-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Huy

Water spots? Try using a solution of water and vinegar. Spray on the spot, let it sit for a while, then rinse off. Repeat if necessary. Follow up with necessary products to re-protect the area. what sort of mixture balance on the water vinegar mix? 50/50, 25/75. 75/25??

shaf
04-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Be careful chinobox, I`ve heard apparently some waterspot damage is so great that it goes all the way through the paint/clearcoat and is impossible to remove totally.

imported_spooled180
04-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Be careful chinobox, I`ve heard apparently some waterspot damage is so great that it goes all the way through the paint/clearcoat and is impossible to remove totally.

Yeah, there were some that the Diamond Cut got rid off and some others just kind of fainted them and stayed there, but after working it so long I think they`re not going away:bounce

imported_Homer
04-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Start off with a 50/50 mixture, then adjust it to your liking. If you find that it`s not strong enough, then add more...just make sure you clean/wash the area thoroughly after you`ve removed the water spots.

Originally posted by PanaPower

what sort of mixture balance on the water vinegar mix? 50/50, 25/75. 75/25??

Anthony O.
04-23-2003, 10:45 PM
chinobox,

No offense meant but the major problem may be that you are using a PC orbital and not a high speed rotary. The PC is a great tool but not really made for paint correction.

Anthony

imported_spooled180
04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
No worries Anthony,

I kept working the diamond cut, till I could get my hands on a DACP bottle, (What a difference)

It really took care of the spots with some gloss included, much better to work with.

I know that you can`t beat a high speed buffer, but being slower and everything the PC did the job.

Chino