PDA

View Full Version : I`m in the middle of an Autopian detail, and I need some help..

Acura_RL
04-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Before I ask my questions, I think I`d preface this post with what I`ve done so far. I`ve washed the car (red prelude) with mother`s soap (1 hour time). After that, I began the claying process (3 hours :shocked ). I lost count of how many smokey black spots were on the paint, but with some QD and some strong rubbing of the clay, those stains came right out.

Unforunately, the finish exposed is not that great. You can see some light scratches and swirls, and water spots are somewhat visible. :(

My next step is to wash the car again. Then I will use a pre-wax cleaner (Meg`s Deep Crystal Cleaner). I plan on doing all my work by hand.

So here we go:

(1) Since DCS is a little more abrasive than #9, will it do a decent job removing the swirls?

(2) What should I use to apply the pre-wax cleaner: a terry pad or foam pad?

(3) When applying how hard should I rub the cleaner?

(4) Do I have to wait for the cleaner to "dry" before removing it with an MF?

(5) Should I apply cleaner to the painted plastic bumpers and panels?

(6) As soon as I`m done with the pre-wax cleaner, then it`s on to #7. Then after applying #7, how long must I wait for the glaze to "cure" before applying #26?

(7) Can I layer #26?

(8) Off the subject: I did a search on a video for claying in these forums and couldn`t find it. Does anyone know the link?

:nixweiss

Sorry for the long list of questions. Most are simple yes/no. I appreciate your input, as I want to make this one great detailing experience. :xyxthumbs

shaf
04-14-2003, 12:25 AM
I`ll try to answer what I can.

1)Don`t know, try it and see. Even though the Meguiar`s abrasiveness scale rates it higher, it doesn`t say by how much so it may be only marginally stronger. Most consumer grade pre-wax cleaners tend to be mild. Since you`re doing this by hand you may or may not get as much polishing as it needs.

2)I would personally use terry pads or terry cloth because it`s said to be stronger.

3)"Firm", I think maybe like 8-10 pounds?? I dunno, I`m bad at guessing weight. :p

4)No.

5)Yes if it`s painted just like the rest of the car. Be careful about flexing some of the more bendy parts though.

6)Don`t wait.

7)Debatable question. ;) Do a search.

8)Sorry, I can`t find the movie either. :nixweiss theveed made it though.

wizardofahs
04-14-2003, 02:09 AM
I wonder how long it will be till "Autopian Detail" will become a phrase that hits the main streem population....