PDA

View Full Version : Fieldcrest towels.

Hawkeye_TDI
04-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Are the Charisma towels incliding the thread and binding 100% USA cotton? I cut off all the edges on my current towels and they frey like crazy.

Do you guys use them? Are they really the best cotton available?

No matter what towels I use I cause micro marring, so I am looking for the softes towel made.

Thanks.

Bruce

Accumulator
04-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Bruce Peter- The Fieldcrest Charismas are about as good as you can get. Another popular choice is Polo by Ralph Lauren (I guess you`re not just paying for the name after all).

The thread used to serge the Charismas CAN scratch; I believe it is polyester. Some people cut the edging off and reserge them with 100% cotton thread. Kevin Overall sold me mine, but his website addy doesn`t seem to work any more.

FWIW, I don`t appear to get micro-marring with either YoSteve MF`s or MicroFiberTech`s waffle-weave MF`s.

Preachers Sheets
04-14-2003, 10:49 AM
I was all for cotton when I first got into detailing. Now I realize the truth ....... cotton has no place in the world of detailing, not for windows, polishing, waxing, polymers, rims etc... Microfiber is the only material you need, it works better than any cotton out there.

I bought 4 huge Royal Velvet towels and cut them up for detailing, boy did I regret that after I used a micro fiber my first time.

imported_Luster
04-14-2003, 12:41 PM
I use only Fieldcrest for the clearcoated paint surfaces.

I use MF for the glass, plastic, wheels, interior.

I`ll get arguments, but my belief is that Fieldcrest works better than MF for black clearcoat paint. Just my opinion.

True, they do fray, but it`s worth the trouble. I cut each towel into 4 pieces so I have 8 really nice size towels.

Preachers Sheets
04-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Luster, how do they work better for you?

Glossequation
04-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Another popular choice is Polo by Ralph Lauren (I guess you`re not just paying for the name after all).

Accumulator--I totally agree, that`s what I use after I`m done with the CWB, it is supersoft (even better after its seasoned--that is--washed a few times) and real absorbent.

medic159
04-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by joed1228

I was all for cotton when I first got into detailing. Now I realize the truth ....... cotton has no place in the world of detailing, not for windows, polishing, waxing, polymers, rims etc... Microfiber is the only material you need, it works better than any cotton out there.

sigh... for the unptieth time guys, microfiber is NOT, repeat EN OH TEE, a fiber. It only refers to the yarn size (diameter.) Microfiber can be nearly anything from polyester, to nylon, to flax, to cotton, to cellulose, to steel and even glass fiber. Also quoting how many kajillinons of threads per square inch is useless information.

Absorbency, wick rate, use of dyes, bleach, softeners, type of weave or knit, are just a few of the factors that determine if a fabric is useful for detailing purposes. I`ve seen scratchy microfiber blends as well as glove soft ones. You simply have to test what you buy.

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2003, 09:54 AM
I have used quite a bit of cotton towels and I have also used four brands of microfibers. Every microfiber I use is better than all the types of cotton I use. Just to compare, a Turtle Wax microfiber towel is better than a Royal Velvet towel. Turtle Wax is known to have one of the lesser quality microfibers and Royal Velvet is known to offer higher quality cotton. The microfibers grab more product during the first pass over the panel. Less passes mean less chances of unducing swirls and less work for me which means more time to make more money. Microfibers work better for me when I am washing, cleaning windows, removing polish, removing wax, removing polymers etc.

You can`t just come outright and say you use a foam applicator unless you tell me what brand it is, what grade of foam it is, what type of ends the pad has, how large it is and how heavy it is because it is useless information.

You know what I mean, no need to bust my chops.

imported_Smoker
04-15-2003, 11:06 AM
Each to their own, but what benefit does using an MF have over a cotton terry towel when your polishing chrome for example.

I use MF for paint and vinyl, plus odds and ends around the car.

Towels do the heavy work like engine bays, wheels and tires etc.

No point in covering an $8 MF in tire dressing is there ?

Blanket statements just make people look dumb if you ask me.

I love it when folks say they used a super-soft Waffle Weave to dry off their paint after leaf-blowing most of the water off then attack the paint with something like DACP.

`pointless exercise` ????

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Smoker

I love it when folks say they used a super-soft Waffle Weave to dry off their paint after leaf-blowing most of the water off then attack the paint with something like DACP.

`pointless exercise` ????

Isn`t that the truth.