PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Search

JimS
04-13-2003, 10:00 AM
I know this doesn`t exactly come under the heading of a detailing thread but it does pertain to detailing.

I`m ready to pop for a digital camera so I can join the ranks of posters who post pics. But...I know even less about digital cameras than I do about detailing so I need your recommendations. I know that probably none of you are "experts" but I think I`d benefit from you posting about your experiences, preferences, etc re: digital cameras.

I`m wanting to spend less than $500, preferably less than $400. I`d like a small unit that I could easily carry around car shows etc. Of course I`d like a good quality picture but I`m not concerned about having "the best".

I think I need to be looking at the number of mexapixels...right? What else do I need to be looking at when making this decision? Any recommendations about where to buy? I see ebay has a ton of them for sale but I have no idea which models are among the favorites.

What do you like or dislike about your camera? What do you wish you`d bought instead of the one you got? Where on the net can I go to get good advice about these gadgets?

I`ll certainly appreciate any information you can feed me to get me started in this search.

tupsliats
04-13-2003, 10:24 AM
That Broadway Photo has a terrible reputation. If buying online, or by phone, check out the seller at www.resellerratings.com for a good bit of feedback. Watch out for the gray market cameras.

I like my 2 megapixel Sony Mavica CD, mostly due to flexibility from using cd r/w`s for storage (and lots of it), but I do wish I had gone for the 4 megapixel version sometimes. There is no 3 megapixel version, but that would have been good too. It does fine with 4x6 pic`s, and even an 8x10 isn`t bad (but not great on close inspection). I like the heft and size of it, about like an SLR, but most prefer smaller cameras.

I think the main thing to look for is pricing of accessories (memory stick etc), ISO equivalent (get up to 400, not just 100), a good built in flash, some low light picture taking options.

You`ll really enjoy the camera. You`ll take more pictures and since you get immediate feedback, you`ll be taking better pictures too. You might want to pick up an external USB hub, or front jacks for your computer, if the camera hooks up that way. Makes it a lot easier to use and download pic`s.

HTH

Jngrbrdman
04-13-2003, 11:47 AM
There are a couple threads that cover those same questions. Just do a search on "digital camera" or something like that and I`m sure they will pop up. There have been some good suggestions and recomendations about what kind of features to look for. Its all there. :xyxthumbs

johnson
04-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Megapixels only give you a larger picture size, not picture clarity. For web shots, a 2-3MP camera is fine. Look into Canon`s S series. After that, pic out what features you want for the right model you want.

C. Charles Hahn
04-13-2003, 12:01 PM
yup I have an ultra-cheap 2.1MP unit I can use for now and for carrying easy... I want to get a Canon EOS-10D next if I can find one cheaper than the $1500 I`ve seen most go for. (especially since I already have a bunch of EF mount lenses for my 35MM existing SLR)

tupsliats
04-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by FNG

Megapixels only give you a larger picture size, not picture clarity. For web shots, a 2-3MP camera is fine. Look into Canon`s S series. After that, pic out what features you want for the right model you want.

If you want to crop and elarge, would it not be better to have used the better camera? Glad if I`ve had that wrong, I won`t wonder about the other camera anymore.