PDA

View Full Version : 6" backing plate too big?

raymond_ho2002
04-13-2003, 03:49 AM
I just ordered the DM-KIT from autopia and am going to get my PC soon. It seems that a lot of you guys are using 6" backing plates for 6" pc pads, which is what that kit comes with.. I would imagine that 6" pads are safer to use with a 5" plate.

You guys don`t worry that you dont have much of a cushion that prevents the backing plate from hitting the paint with a 6"pad/6" plate? Would anyone recommend that I get a 5" plate to use instead?

Accumulator
04-13-2003, 11:17 AM
raymond_ho2002- This is a valid concern. CMA just released a new line of pads that are made slightly oversized for just that reason. In fact, a number of manufacturers (Griot`s comes to mind) have started making their pads a little bigger.

BUT..the pads don`t move around on the backing plate, and won`t peel off it during use if you replace them before the velcro wears out.

I used to use a 5" backing plate (and counterweight) for this reason, but no longer feel I need to. I`m pretty sure you`ll be fine with the 6" setup. If not, the backing pad and counterweight are easily changed, reasonably priced, and available from Porter Cable (I don`t have the 800 number handy, but you can just call them and order).

shaf
04-13-2003, 01:37 PM
CMA is also starting to carry 5" backing plates I think. I believe most of the major pads people use are slightly oversized (6.5") and not exactly the same diameter as the backing plate. The velcro backing on the pads causes people the same worry already anyway.

I prefer 5" plates because it was lighter in the ones I compared, and the Megs one slightly lighter. Seems to give fewer vibes at higher PC settings. 6" weight is always better.

That said, lots of people use the CMA 6" plate just fine though...

imported_doug
04-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Actually, Ray came by my house yesterday - and brought his backing plate and pads with him - he hasn`t received his PC yet. He wanted some help removing the swirls from his gorgeous black Lexus IS300. The 6" backing plate was the exact diameter of the CMA and Meguiars` pads - so we stuck with my 5" backing plate, which leaves a nice safety buffer at the edge of the pads. I`ve had no trouble with my pads wearing prematurely.

imported_Clark
04-13-2003, 09:41 PM
They are a bit more expensive that the others but do give you some room; their 6" pads give 1/4 inch extra on the porter-cable 6" plate. They also last. I have had two of their red wax pads and two of the orange pads for 2 years now. There is no sign of the Velcro backing coming off and I wash and dry them by agitating them in my hands.

shaf
04-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by carguy

The 6" backing plate was the exact diameter of the CMA and Meguiars` pads - Oh, that ain`t good. :doh

raymond_ho2002
04-14-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by carguy

Actually, Ray came by my house yesterday - and brought his backing plate and pads with him - he hasn`t received his PC yet. He wanted some help removing the swirls

Carguy/Greg was *very* generous in sparing several hours of his time to helping teach me how to remove swirls using a PC. We used FI-II and 3M SMR and had ended up leaving the parts that we worked on (hood and left fender) absolutely stunning. Below is a pic greg took of a reflection off the hood of windshield beading as I pulled the car out of his garage. It`s been raining since and I haven`t been able to get good pics.

I can take pics at some point comparing PC`ed versus unPC`ed areas. I`ll post the final results after I get a PC and do the whole car.

Once again, Greg, I can`t thank you enough!