PDA

View Full Version : Waxy, oily film after washing truck

RoadRashTX
08-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Yesterday I decided to wash my truck and after the truck started to dry I noticed a waxy oily film all over the truck. Even the windows. It almost looks like a wax buildup. Recently I had a dent repaired on my truck at serviceking and they detailed the truck before giving me it back. I had not washed it since I got it back from them. Could this be because of the wax or polish they used?

How do I get it all off so I can rewax the truck? I tried an auto soap and also used a regular dish soap to try and remove it. The only way I have been able to remove it is by using a dry towel and changing out the towel frequently otherwise the towel just puts it back on the truck.

thanks
Mark

Woob
08-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Either Car Wash Residue or the stuff they put on your car. Try a car paint cleaner or maybe bump up the car was soap solution u have

JaredPointer
08-11-2004, 10:48 AM
First, welcome to DC. Next, what kind of car wash did you use. Some of them leave behind residue, especially if they are not mixed as per mfg. instruction. How did you dry the car off? Let us know your procedure for that. Finally, you may want to go over it with a Quick Detailing type product as that will remove the film left behind after a wash and restore the slick feel to the paint.

RoadRashTX
08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
It is strange. I used the Mr Clean wash thing and I have used it before without any problems. I even tried using just liquid dawn. I then went back over the truck with a dry cotton bath towel to dry it. I will have to try the quick detailer to see if I can get it off. Seems like whatever it is I ended up spreading it all over the car. It is even on the windows. I had to change wash rags over and over because it kept getting on the wash rag and then spreading it around.

Jesstzn
08-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Wipe a fender down with mineral spirits and a MF .. if Dawn didn`t lift it its probably some kind of emulsion they used to pretty your truck up after they were done.

You will need to rewax anyway after the Dawn wash you did.

JaredPointer
08-11-2004, 11:09 AM
The Mr. Clean Auto Dry carwash liquid leaves a residue. I have used it and gotten residue. I would say you should try a different wash if you want to used the Mr. Clean. Currently I am using Meguiar`s NXT and it works great. Smells good too. Just a suggestion. You also may want to try getting you some microfiber towels to dry with. They are a lot more absorbent and soft than cotton.