PDA

View Full Version : where to buy porter cable?

Heff
04-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know if there are any retail chains that carry the proter cable random orbital I think it`s the 7424,? I know I can get them online but i would like to be able to see one in person because the lack of a handle on the casing makes it look real akward to hold on to. I live in michigan, so national chains, like homedepot, or lowes are whats around here, also, am I the only one who thinks that it`s odd for this popular machine not to have a tapered handle like every other one out there?

thanks guys

MSOsr
04-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Lowe`s carries the 7336, which is the same machine, but has the 6" counterweight (which is what you want if you use 6" pads). Currently $109 at Lowe`s.

Jngrbrdman
04-12-2003, 08:53 PM
What`s a tapered handle? If its like the one that the rotarys have then I`m not suprised that the PC doesn`t have one. It doesn`t need one. Its a light machine that doesn`t need much control to get the job done.

Steve @ Guru
04-12-2003, 09:09 PM
The PC 7336 and 7424 DO come with the side handle. All of mine came with the handle.

shaf
04-13-2003, 01:47 AM
<<----- wouldn`t mind seeing the PC with a rotary-style grip for his stubby hands. :D

wbruzek
04-26-2003, 03:05 PM
What are things to look for in a buffer? I`ve seen some very inexpensive ones (Ryobi, Turtle Wax), and some not so cheap ones like the Porter Cable. Help?

Thanks,

Wayne

ntoddalbert
04-26-2003, 04:02 PM
Bought mine from Coastal Tool Online this past wed, got here the next day! best part, they charge 7.50 for shipping, very fair imo, im sick of getting charged half the cost of the product, like when you order S100, 14 bucks to ship that....

shaf
04-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi Wayne, welcome to Autopia! :wavey

Here`s a quote from an older post of mine to save me some typing :D
I also looked at the Wens because they were cheaper, easy to find, and fairly fast or powerful. I decided against them though because the compromises outweighed any advantages. The pad sizes were inconveniently large, speed ranges were fixed or limited, and they used a small range of bonnets instead of the various grades of foam pads the PC uses. Also, I started to find that they were either fast or powerful, but not both! Basically I came to the conclusion that the PC is almost perfectly adapted for what we want. It`s got power, you can vary the speed from fast to slow, it uses velcro pads, and it`s more durable. The only real tradeoff seems to be the much higher cost, but I found the cheaper buffers to be simply too great a compromise so I bit the bullet and went PC. :)

Some people like Myles and others outside North America usually, have used some other good variable speed sanders to for this too (try searching) but I`m not sure if you save much money.

DA53
04-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy

Bought mine from Coastal Tool ,best part, they charge 7.50 for shipping, very fair imo,

There web site says they charges $19 for shipping.

Al

kempie
04-27-2003, 08:09 PM
I got mine on ebay. $78. plus ship. Its used but I dont make a living w/it so I doubt I`ll wear it out.

ntoddalbert
04-28-2003, 06:35 AM
"There web site says they charges $19 for shipping. "

I tried online but the order wouldnt go through, I called it in, didnt even ask about shipping, looking at my reciept now they only charged 7.50? Im in NJ they are in CT, I guess if your farther away they might charge more?