PDA

View Full Version : Detail a new car?

cuzacan
04-12-2003, 04:29 PM
When I get my new car in June, it should be all detailed right? Would it be a good idea to put a klasse all in one and klasse glaze on right away to give it extra protection? I live at a Condo-no garage-on the sound (salt water).

Thanks guys!:D

One more thing. Car cover......good idea?

imported_Dude
04-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Definately detail it right away! You might want to use a clay bar as well; cars being shipped from the factory to the dealership often travel by rail, and pick up rail dust (little shavings of iron) while in transit.

Once you detail your new car, you`ll see something amazing- it`ll actually look better than new! My car, for example, is two years old, and it still looks better than those on the lot of the local dealership. You can achieve the same results.

jay_vw
04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
I never thought of rail dust, or other fall-out. And I know for a fact that car manufactures don`t apply any protector to the paint, at least for your average car (ie Accord, Jetta, MDX). I know what I`ll be doing to my new car as soon as it arrives.....

Accumulator
04-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Welcome to Autopia. Yes, Dude`s right. Claying a new car is a VERY good idea, there can be a surprising amount of stuff on/in the paint. The "rail dust" thing is NOT an urban legend, it can cause weird little rust spots that don`t always come off.

cuzacan- With no garage to work in, you have a challenging situation. I would still consider taking the car UNPREPPED and doing it all yourself. As ejant said, few dealers do good cosmetic prep and some can virtually RUIN a new car. I`ve only found ONE dealer who preps cars well, and they do special jobs for me and my family/friends (knowing that I will/have refused delivery over minute flaws). The cars they prep for most other people aren`t nearly as well done. Don`t trust your dealer unless you have a good reason to.

Car covers can be problematic. Unless the car is spotlessly clean, putting the cover on/off can cause some really bad scratches (as can flapping in the wind). Yes, even with the best covers. Been there, scratched that. I might consider it on a white car, but I`m not sure. There was another thread on this a while back, might be worth a search.

jay_vw- Unless you have a GOOD reason to think the dealer WON`T screw up your new, black car, I wouldn`t let them touch it! Look at the cars in the showroom (look close, the lighting and the dealer`s glazes can be deceiving), I`ll bet they look awful. Yours will look worse than that (they put the "best" cars in the showroom), though you might not notice it when you take delivery.

cuzacan
04-14-2003, 06:51 PM
I want to thank you all for your advice and your welcome!

Dale