PDA

View Full Version : first full detail....newbie help

vol_freak
04-11-2003, 10:18 PM
OK, I have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and have learned a lot (thanks to all you experienced detailers). Since the rain has finally stopped I am attemping my first full detail. After reading through many opinions on brands of waxes, polishes, etc. I decided to start out with the Meguiars professional line since I could by it locally. Today I washed, clayed and then washed again. Tomorrow I will use #9, #7, and then top with liquid glass. I know these may not be the best choice compared to zaino, klasse, etc. but I thought it was a good place for me to start. I am using a cheap orbital buffer with foam pads. Again, I know this may not be the best way to do it, but I want to do a detail now and it will be next month before I order my Porter Cable orbital buffer.

Now for my questions......

I just got this truck a couple of months ago and it has some light scratches in the paint. Looks like maybe from a drive through car wash. They are really only noticable on the hood under the flourescent lighting of my garage. I am curious if the #9 will help or if I should use the 3M perfect it fine cut compound that I also bought? Or, in other words, which should I use first to attempt to get out the scratches. #9 then compound if the #9 doesn`t work or use the compound first. And with the compound, should I only attack the scratches or do the entire panel/hood?

Also, any tips for applying and removing these various products? My guess is to do the compound/polish panel by panel and remove it before it dries too long. I also read here that I need to really work in the polish until it is almost dry. Someone mentioned the h pattern.

Sorry for the long post. I apoligize if these are dumb questions. I have read and searched so much on this forum I am not sure if I am getting smarter or dumber (information overload :doh )

Thanks again to all of you who post here!

btw, the truck is a 2001 maroon expedition if that matters.

shaf
04-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Welcome vol_freak! :wavey

If you`re using Liquid Glass, I would definitely skip the #7 since it`s been long held (so far) that "polymer" style waxes shouldn`t be applied over glaze, but a clean surface instead. Finish with #9 and I think it should be ready.

If you have a few localized scratches, tackle those separately - no need to aggressively attack paint that doesn`t need it. If you have scratches all over the place then that`s different of course.

Your polishing method sounds good to me. Since you`re using a cheap orbital though, you may want to try the trick of polishing with a folded cotton terry towel instead if you find the orbital doesn`t cut it (no pun intended ;)).

vol_freak
04-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Well I finished. Whew! I think it turned out ok. I decided to stick with the #9 and tackle the tougher scratches next time.

vol_freak
04-13-2003, 10:22 PM
closer up....

vol_freak
04-13-2003, 10:24 PM
last one.....thanks for the replys.

shaf
04-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Looks nice to me. :)

imported_ragman
04-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Looks Great ! Excellent Shine !

Accumulator
04-14-2003, 11:05 AM
vol_freak- Good job! :up

2wheelsx2
04-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Nice work using what you have.

A couple of suggestions. Once you get the PC, try the #9 again before you give up. You would be amazed at what the PC will remove. Then if it doesn`t work, try the fine cut cleaner or DACP.

If you want to stick with Meguiar`s, I would recommend you try #20. Easy to use, and beads water well, and lasts longer than any wax.

Other than that, :xyxthumbs

vol_freak
04-14-2003, 01:34 PM
thanks guys......

2wheelsx2 thanks for the info. I will try the #9 again when I get the PC. I was pretty pleased with the results I had. Most of the scratches are gone/hidden. I will definately try this again when I get my PC.

I thought about trying #20, but was unable to find it locally.

2wheelsx2
04-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Hmm...you may want to find a NAPA or an autobody supply store, they usually have the full line of Meguiar`s stuff.

If you want to go to a polymer and only want to do local purchasing, try a Mercedes, BMW, or Acura dealership for Klasse. I know the local Acura dealer here carries the Klasse twins.

thevolvoguy
04-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Wow, great job!

Liquid Glass is a nice localy avalible polymer. But, Zaino does have a lot more to offer if you can get some.

Nice Expedition too.

shaf
04-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I know the local Acura dealer here carries the Klasse twins. :shocked THEY DO?!? :eek: :eek: Which one? Last year I called everywhere and no one had the stuff! There`s never been a source of Klasse in Canada before, and people have been looking forever AFAIK.

10 lashes with a wet noodle to you for not sharing earlier Gary! :nono ;)

vol_freak
04-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Hmm...you may want to find a NAPA or an autobody supply store, they usually have the full line of Meguiar`s stuff.

If you want to go to a polymer and only want to do local purchasing, try a Mercedes, BMW, or Acura dealership for Klasse. I know the local Acura dealer here carries the Klasse twins.

I will check that out tomorrow. I had no idea that these places may carry Klasse. Thanks for the info!

------------------------------

Thanks for the compliments volvoguy. I plan on maybe trying Klasse or Zaino next

------------------------------

Btw, I can`t believe how slick/smooth my truck feels after I did this! I realize I may be obsessed because I have gone out to my garage several times to feel the fenders with my fingers. Of course I wipe off the fingerprints afterwards:xyxthumbs. My wife thinks I`m nuts.