PDA

View Full Version : 35 mm Film Developing?

bunker
04-10-2003, 10:54 PM
For those of us that still use a SLR 35 mm camera with real film, where do you get your film developed for posting pics on the web? Do you use a local shop and request a cd or do you send it to a developer and download your photos?

Thanks.

Nagchampa
04-10-2003, 10:59 PM
I used to go to Costco and have them develop and throw it on a CD for me. I have my own scanner now so I just get them to develop it. I believe that Walmart has the same service for a few dollars over the price for developing.

johnson
04-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Scott uses Wolf Camera to do his. I just finished a roll and will be going to get it done at a Kodak center. Ill let you know tomorrow. Its a cheap $100 point and shoot, so I dont know how good the quality is. I also used ISO 100 for testing purposes.

bunker
04-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks, I`ll wait to hear. If you would, give me a price too.

Yeah, Scottwax recommends a low speed film for quality and sharpness.

Scottwax
04-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Use 100 ASA if you can get away with it. You need excellent lighting though. If you shoot under varying conditions though, 200 or 400 ASA will work better. I prefer Kodak`s Royal Gold film. A little more expensive, but extremely low grain, even when you blow the pics up, outstanding color satuation too.

When you have a picture CD made, request it be done at 100% resolution for the best quality. You can download a free image optimizer at www.xat.com to resize and compress the pics for posting.

bunker
04-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Excellent. Thanks.

Yeah I usually shoot in the ever shining (read HOT) sun.

Stealthman
05-02-2003, 12:47 AM
Scanners are so cheap now that if you get alot of film to cd`s and pay more for it, in the long run you could buy a scanner. And if you do the scanning you control the turn out.

bunker
05-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Ok I am ready to post some photos but I am unclear which image optimizer to download.

What size photos should I be posting? Sorry I am new to this computer imaging thing. Thanks

Scottwax
05-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by bunker

Ok I am ready to post some photos but I am unclear which image optimizer to download.

What size photos should I be posting? Sorry I am new to this computer imaging thing. Thanks

www.xat.com has a great free image optimizer.

I usually post 500 x 333 or 600 x 400 size pics and compress them to the 45-60KB range.

johnson
05-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by bunker

Thanks, I`ll wait to hear. If you would, give me a price too.

Yeah, Scottwax recommends a low speed film for quality and sharpness.

Whoops, forgot about this thread.

Roll of 24 exposure film = $3

Kodak Picture CD = $13

Film Processing = $3

All costs are estimates but I remember almost spending $20 for the whole thing. It was too expensive for me, so I went out and got a Canon PowerShot G2 for $450. Now, if I ever need prints, I can go to Walmart or www.adorama.com and have them do it.