PDA

View Full Version : Painting Exhaust, Spray or Brush?

MBZ 500E
04-09-2003, 07:22 PM
I`m going to buy some exhaust paint and just had a quick question. For those that have done this in the past do you find it easier to apply using a spray paint or with a paint brush?

Also what type of surface prep should I do before applying this paint.

Thanks for the help.

fisher
04-09-2003, 08:31 PM
what I would do is spray paint.I am doing my engine bay with dupicolor spray paint.It is high temp. I am going to use some sandpaper grit from 80 to 1500.Then use some kind of primer then paint.I would go with the same idea,but thats me. Good luck hope this helps a bit!!!:bigups

chris0626
04-10-2003, 12:07 AM
Have you tried a search yet? I think I`ve seen recent threads but am too lazy at the moment to find them. Try "exhaust and paint". Also there was one recently on "muffler tips," if you mean the rear portions and not the exhaust manifold.

Lynn Matthews
04-10-2003, 02:34 AM
I think that may be a preference thing. Spray would be easier but the brush would leave more paint behind. It also depends on what type of paint you want to use along with what the other Lynn said about what part of the exhaust.

The Eastwood Company offers several options you might want to check out. http://www.eastwoodco.com/

I sprayed mine but I was trying to get that Big Block Chevy shoved in my 59 Caddy and get moved from Oregon down here to Southern California.

Didn’t put much thought into it at the time. I was more concerned with the color of my engine and getting it running. (Corvette Radar Blue, and it fired up on the first try by the way…)

Good Luck…

imported_Opus
04-10-2003, 07:13 AM
The Eastwood products are great, I have done both spray and brush.

Preference really depends on the vhicle being done, I used spray for my somewhat newer vehicles (79+) and brush for older vehicles (68-) where painting manifolds are necessary.

Both came out very well, remember the prep work is the most critical stage!

Cheers!

MBZ 500E
04-10-2003, 09:37 AM
I`m actually only painting the very rear muffler portion of the exhaust with a satin or semi gloss paint from Eastwood (Thanks Lynn). I just wasn`t sure what would provide the best finish. This portion of the exhaust came finished in a low gloss black paint which has chipped off and worn away.

My exhaust is a low grade stainless steel from the factory, there is minor surface corrosion on all the sections prior to the muffler. These areas were not coated with any paint. For those that have done concourse, do you think this will be an issue? Does any paint out there replicate stainless?

Since I`ve never used the Eastwood spray cans I`m also wondering how much overspray to expect. I`m not going to remove the exhaust from the car so I will have to tape off the surrounding areas.

Thanks again for all your input.

imported_Opus
04-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Eastwood sprays very well, a trick I learned to improve coverage, mixture and limit overspray is to place the can in warm (not hot) water prior to using it.

imported_Aurora40
04-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by MBZ 500E

My exhaust is a low grade stainless steel from the factory, there is minor surface corrosion on all the sections prior to the muffler. These areas were not coated with any paint. For those that have done concourse, do you think this will be an issue? Does any paint out there replicate stainless?

I don`t really know what I`m talking about, but isn`t that usually just surface rust on the cheaper stainless steel? I`d think it could just be sanded off. But then, even when new that type of steel doesn`t look very good.

MBZ 500E
04-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Aurora,

You`re right, it is surface rust on the rest of the exhaust. And you`re also right that for the most part the low grade stainless doesn`t look great from the factory.

I guess I could sand down the exhaust tubes (cat back) but will that last? If a good paint does exist to replicate the factory cheap stainless look then I think it would be a more permanent solution.

So far I`m leaning towards the spray, sounds like it will provide good coverage.