PDA

View Full Version : Here`s what I got!! I need your advice!

Pages : [1] 2

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey gang help me out here. I will be detailing my sister`s red prelude this weekend (no clearcoat).

Here`s what I bought from Discount Auto:

Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Step 1)

Meguiar`s #7 show car glaze

Meguiar`s #26 Hi tech yellow wax

Meguiar`s Natural Shine Rubber and Vinyl Protectant

Mother`s Car wash soap

Zymol QD spray

Meguiar`s foam applicators

What I want to do is this:

(1) Wash the car

(2) Clay with Mother`s clay bar

(3) Rinse car

(4) Clean with the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

(5) Apply #7

(6) Leave car in garage overnight, then apply #26

(7) Do the trim, etc.

Please help me out. Is there anything wrong with my process? I substituted #7 and #26 for steps 2 and 3 in the Deep Crystal system. Is that ok?

Help me out gang. I really want to make this car pop! I paid over $40 for all this stuff! Thanks!!!!

johnson
04-08-2003, 07:56 PM
(1) Wash the car

(2) Clay with Mother`s clay bar

(3) Wash the car

(4) Clean with the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

(5) Do the trim, tires, etc

(6) Apply #7

(7) Apply #26

(8) Do the glass

(9) QD the entire car

Make sure you apply the #7 and #26 in thin layers. Should take you about 2 hours or less. When removing #7, instead of one section at a time, go over the car with a terry towel and take some of the product off until almost gone (gradually take it off in layers). Next, get the rest off with a MF towel.

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 07:58 PM
:bow :bow Thank you thank you thank you.

I understand what your saying about applying thin layers. If is see the stuff on the paint, it`s doing the job. No need for a thick layer.

I`ve got terry cloth and MF towels. So I`ll take your advice.

I can`t wait until the weekend! :bounce

Also I found that cleaning the glass with QD spray is not so bad. In fact it`s great! No smears. I just applied some Mother`s QD on my RL. I bought Zymol cuz Discount hardly carried Mother`s products.

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 08:18 PM
I forgot to ask, when I`m applying all these products, do I use a circular or back-and-forth motion?

2wheelsx2
04-08-2003, 08:32 PM
I think the consensus here is that it shouldn`t matter, if your paint and applicators are perfectly clean. However, conventional wisdom says that you may pick up some stray debris and swirl up the paint, so going back and forth would minimize the visibility of these fine scratches, instead of creating circular swirls.

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Advice well taken :bigups! I plan on doing this entire routine only twice a year.

Every month I might do a wax and every 2 months I`ll put in some #7 before applying #26. Does that sound right? #7 is a glaze so it shouldn`t strip the paint, correct? If I`m not mistaken, the manufacturers warn against using the cleaners very frequently (no more than twice a year).

2wheelsx2
04-08-2003, 08:47 PM
I am pretty sure that #7 has some mild cleaners in it, but no significant abrasives. So your paint is safe.

It depends on what you like. I have #7, but didn`t like the finicky removal, so I switched to using #20 under the #26. #20 is a polymer base sealant, and lasts a good bit longer than #26.

I have since then switched to Klasse, but the #20 and #26 combo did really well for me.

You 1 month/2 month routine looks ok, but why not just do #7 every time, since you are going to go over with #26 anyway?

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 08:54 PM
but why not just do #7 every time, since you are going to go over with #26 anyway?

I guess that`s fine with me... I`m still learning this stuff. I have never used #7. All I know is that you apply a very thin layer of it. I`m just gonna keep reading the instructions until I get the process down right. ;)

Didn`t Scottwax mention that #26 is one of the most durable carnubas? So if that`s the case I can lengthen the duration between waxes from 4 to 6 weeks.

2wheelsx2
04-08-2003, 08:56 PM
On certain paints, I had problems with #7 removal. Maybe I was applying too much, I don`t know. Anyway, if I were you, and you have not used it before, I would start with a small area, like a quarter panel, which is not as conspicous as, say, the hood, and do the #7 and buff out and see if it gets the results you are after. That way, if you are using too much, you can clean off the panel and try again.

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Wow, so if you apply too much you have to do it over? And I`m gonna do this by hand as well.

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Here`s a quote from Meguiar`s online:

Apply polish as if you were rubbing lotion into your hands. The more you work into your finish, the better. Don`t apply too much at once, though. Only so much polish can penetrate the surface at one time. The rest will be wasted, creating extra residue that is more difficult to remove.

Is that true of #7?

Scottwax
04-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Acura_RL

Is that true of #7?

Eh, it seems that it is saying you can put on several thin layers before removing.

With #7, just use a thin layer, work until it looks nearly clear and dry , then let it sit about 30 minutes or so and it should come off easier than if you try and wipe it off immediately.

johnson
04-08-2003, 11:02 PM
A few weeks ago I was using Meguiars Hand Polish and I put too much on. It was a PITA to remove because it just smeared. Last weekend I used thin layers and it came off really easy.

Acura_RL
04-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Eh, it seems that it is saying you can put on several thin layers before removing.

With #7, just use a thin layer, work until it looks nearly clear and dry , then let it sit about 30 minutes or so and it should come off easier than if you try and wipe it off immediately.

:usa Will do. Like I said, I`ll be doing this by hand, so I am presuming that the process will be more tedious.

And I guess there`s no time needed for "curing" the glaze, so I can go straight to the wax. Also, I guess I have to be careful how I apply #26: too aggressively and I risk stripping the glaze, correct?

imported_Smoker
04-08-2003, 11:22 PM
I dont think #26 has any polishing agents in it, its just a pure wax and solvents, so you should be safe no mater how hard you rub ;)

BUT!!

I havnt used it so I could be wrong.

I stick to S100, just havnt found anything as easy to use.