PDA

View Full Version : Megs Final Detail ????`s

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Faceman
04-08-2003, 06:44 AM
HI there,

Thinking about buying a gallonf Final Detail after eharing v.good things about it on this board.

From what I`ve read it sounds like it contain a fair chunk of silicone.

Now, when I detail my car I like to qd it between steps, ie #9, qd, sec, qd, s100,qd - to help remove any residue that i`missed and help clear smears.

Would the final detail be too "siliconey" for this or is it ok?

Thanks,

Face

imported_Aurora40
04-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Hmm, I don`t really think Final Detail is some super siliconey product. It just isn`t paint-shop safe. Just like many other QD`s, polishes, and protectants. Quik Detailer isn`t paint-shop safe, and nobody worries about using it, nor I imagine is EO WW&S, or probably QuickShine or many others. I`ve never used S100 SEC, but it wouldn`t surprise me if it weren`t paint-shop safe. Most companies don`t really make a point of advertising this, though. Meg`s does for their pro products. But it doesn`t mean the stuff that isn`t paint-shop safe is somehow bad or needs to be avoided. In fact, I`d say FD is better than FI precisely because it isn`t paint-shop safe. Because they didn`t have that restriction, they could make a more effective QD. I also imagine that S100 itself has silicone in it. So I really don`t see why this would be an issue. Maybe if you were going to put on Zaino or something and needed the surface totally clean, you might not want to use FD. But then you really wouldn`t want to use any QD or polish unless you planned to re-prep the surface for Zaino...

Just my opinion, though.

Richt
04-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Face, - if you are getting some final detail i would love to trade you some final inspection to see which i prefer.

imported_Faceman
04-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Aurora: i just wanted to make sure that it would be okay. To buy a gallon of FD from Meguiars UK is gonna cost me the equivalent of approx. $30 + about $15 shipping, so i just wanted to make sure that it would be a good choice. Didn`t want to blow all that cash, just to find out that my polishes/glazes/waxes wouldn`t "sit" on top of it. I appreciate the advice.

Rich: I should think I could go for that. Just gotta wait until i can get some cash together. Megs UK said they want about £10 for delivery tho`, as a gallon weighs so much! Will probably order some other stuff too, like the hand polish to make the shipping more worthwhile.

Thanks again,

Face

imported_Aurora40
04-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Faceman, why so expensive? I can understand the shipping being high, but I`d think the product cost would be about the same. Mine was $17. You are paying almost twice that before shipping! If FI is cheaper, maybe that would be better for you then. One of the nice things about FD is it is pretty cheap.

Paintxpert
04-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Aurora - havent you heard - we live in that country where people charge what the hell they like for stuff :rolleyes: :(

Face - did you get the PM from Alex regarding the clearkote stuff? Might be worth getting some of the Quickshine instead, I know I will be :D

imported_Faceman
04-08-2003, 02:18 PM
UK is expensive for everything. Our sales tax is 17.5%, so that doesn`t help, either.

This is even worse though... i read on these boards that Megs GC Shampoo was about $8-10 a gallon in Target and Wal-mart in the States. I bought a HALF-gallon yesterday for £15 / $22.50.

Yep, we have to pay about $45 a gallon for GC Shampoo.

Bloody outrageous, but what can you do! Even Megs Ultimate Wipes work out at $15.

You guys in the States are pretty lucky - loads of quality products and stupidly low prices. I`m coming to Vegas and San Francisco in October, and I`m gonna stock up on stuff then!

Cheers

Face

imported_Faceman
04-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Aurora: we also pay about $5-6 a gallon for fuel, too.

Nick: No, could you forward me a copy of the Pm please?

ta

face

jerry@robs
04-08-2003, 09:34 PM
In manila, FD costs 600 pesos more than FI...

imported_Smoker
04-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Faceman

Aurora: we also pay about $5-6 a gallon for fuel, too.

Nick: No, could you forward me a copy of the Pm please?

ta

face

Here gas is $1.59 which makes it about a quid a gallon.

If I were still living in Good Ole Blighty I doubt I could run the warmed up 5.7 litre thats sat in the Blazer.......

**A Recent Survey Disclosed That, If Given The Opportunity, 85% Of UK Males Between 18 And 30 Years Old Would Emigrate**

I wonder why ?

MBZ 500E
04-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Face,

Getting back to your original question, I use the Final Detail and S100 products with great results........BUT. I did notice this.

I applied the SEC, the S100 and finished with Final Detail. A week later when I applied the second coat of S100 Carnauaba I didn`t notice any difference in the paints appearance and IMO I felt like the Final Detail didn`t let the wax bond with the paint.

So last weekend I used the SEC and S100 again and got the results I was hoping for and I finished with the FD. \

In the future I will always use the SEC before the S100. Another observation I made is that SEC is very easy to work with if you apply it the same was as the Carnauaba, one panel at a time.

disasnguy
04-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Where`s a good place to order Final Detail by the gallon?

Lynn Matthews
04-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by disasnguy

Where`s a good place to order Final Detail by the gallon?

Most PBE stores should have it. If not you can ask them to order it. Most of the time they can have it in a day. It also comes in a 5 gal. too! If you have trouble let me know and tell me what area you are in I will see what I can do.

Richt
04-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by NickATRvtec

Aurora - havent you heard - we live in that country where people charge what the hell they like for stuff :rolleyes: :(

Face - did you get the PM from Alex regarding the clearkote stuff? Might be worth getting some of the Quickshine instead, I know I will be :D

Nick whats the score with Clearkote stuff??

Megs UK say we pay so much as they have to ship it over to the uk.

Face what they charging for the Final Detail, i payed 27 quid or something for my last gallon of F.I???

imported_Faceman
04-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Rich: I was told by Bernadette £19.12 for gallon/FD and £22.18 gallon/FI.

By the way - have you started posting on the Megs forum, or is it another Rich from pug sport club?

Also, I don`t seem to be getting e-mail notifications of posts to subscribed threads - are you having this problem?

Cheers

Face