PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with new car

Pages : [1] 2

rleven
04-08-2003, 03:27 AM
Hi folks. I have been reading your threads and this is definitely the place I want to be to get info on waxing and detailing my new ride. Ok. This is the story.

I have a Silver-Grey(New Color) M3 Cab arriving by boat on Thursday. I should be able to pick it up from my dealer early next week if the storm in NY didn`t slow things up. As anyone who has ordered a new car I am anticipating it`s arrival with the anticipation of a first baby. Anyway, I have bought

Klasse AIO and SG

Pinnacle Clay bar and lube

Meguiar Premium MF Wipes

What should I do and in what order on a new vehicle. This is all new to me. I have a Jag that I run through the autowash but that is a company car and I get a new one every year.

Bob

Scott P
04-08-2003, 06:55 AM
I don`t imagine you`d need AIO since it is a new car. I guess it would depend on how much prep the dealer is doing to the car. The paint is new and should only need a couple of coats of SG. Are you telling the dealer to not do any prep?

rleven
04-08-2003, 07:28 AM
No. I haven`t told him anything regarding prep. But the auto comes with a complete coating of cosmoline and is all supposed to be removed at the VPC before arriving at the dealer. The dealer then does what? Who knows? What should I tell him regarding the finish of the auto?

bob

PS- Thanks for your help

shaf
04-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Welcome. :wavey

The absolutely best thing to do is to tell the dealer not to lay a single finger on the car - they will only do damage to it because they often cut corners and don`t know a single thing about detailing. Do everything yourself.

I`m not sure what Cosmoline is, but I would definitely not let them remove it, since they will most likely do something bad in the process. I imagine AIO or any common pre-wax cleaner would take it off. AIO after you clay is a good idea prior to using SG - it`s quite mild and would help with any marring you accidentally cause in the claying process anyway.

LOTA OT
04-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Good advice on not letting the dealer prep the car. You can make sure it is done the right way from day one.

Cosmoline is a petroleum/wax based protective coating that is typically used for transporting to protect the item from corrosion while in transit. I`m pretty sure you are right in that it will be removed at the VPC, so I doub`t you`ll have a choice there. If you do have to remove it, depending on how much is on there is can be a pain to get off. I think a good body shop solvent like prepsol will take it off.

Michael

Nitrous115
04-08-2003, 03:59 PM
If you do prep it yourself, there is a coating on the windows that you must remove. At the bmw dealership I work at we use steel wool to remove it. I would let the dealer do it because there is nothing like the first day you get your new car. In my opinion picking up a dirty car with all of the plastic on the inside and out would be disappointing. All they will do take all of the plastic off, wash the car, blow all the air out of the cracks, clean the windows, vac, dress the tires, put the mats in, and qd it. They don`t hurt cars much at all if any.

Andre'
04-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Well if they wash the car, they will scratch the car. Like 4DSC said tell the dealer not to lay a single finger on the car.

rleven
04-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Wow, you guys are great. I talked to the dealer today and he said that they do wax the car. I nixed that. I told him just to have it washed. They have been delivering BMW`s for close to 40 years so I would imagine that they know how to wash a car. As for the Cosmoline, that gets removed at BMW`s Vehicle Processing Center at the port of entry. If you knew what cosmoline was I doubt that you would want to tackle it. I would imagine they run the cars through a 150 degree+ wash with some type of solvent to remove it. It is really nasty sxxt and you don`t even want to get the goo on your hands. Its like 90 weight petroleum goo. It protects the auto from corrosion while it is on the high seas. Anyway, I am going to let him have his fun and wash it so that they don`t get all out of joint about delivering a dirty car. So, it is a good plan. Clay, sio and then sg? Anything else you would suggest? What kind of detergent should I use to wash it? I really want this baby to sparkle.....

Thanks,

Bob

2wheelsx2
04-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Since they would have use harsh cleaners to remove the comoline, a good carwash like Meguiar`s Gold Class should be sufficient to clean the surface in preparation for claying and AIO. By the time you finish with the AIO, the paint should be silky smooth, and then you can put on one coat of SG every day until you get it the way you want it.

Nitrous115
04-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Did the dealer say they used normal wax or spay on wax?

johnson
04-09-2003, 10:01 AM
You could get a 55 drum of Cosmoline Remover. :D

http://www.automagic.com/solvents.htm

rleven
04-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info? Can I keep the drum at your place and then just pop by for a pint or 2 every year or every other year?

Bob :)

:shocked

TurboCat
04-09-2003, 12:20 PM
OK, your car is coming in on an ocean vessel into port NYNJ tomorrow and you will take delivery on the car by early next week???

I hate to say this but don`t be surprised if it doesn`t happen that quickly! I`ve been in transportation for 16 years (Import Brokerage for 2 years) and that sounds like dreaming to me! Especially with the new AMS and C-TPAT rules we have to live with. Not to mention the congestion at the piers.

But good luck! :xyxthumbs

rleven
04-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Turbocat,

Please keep your comments to what you know about. Do alot of high capacity roro do you? It is obvious that with your 16 years of trucking experience you must know what you are talking about. Sounds like you are the know it all that nobody wants information from because it is always wrong. BMW promised the car by 4/15 and they are always conservative. But what do I know. This is only my 6th BMW. I have had cars at my dealership in 3 days after coming off the ship.

TurboCat
04-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Geez,

What did I do to deserve being flamed? I don`t claim to know everything. And I am not "always wrong" as you insinuate.

I was only trying to give you a friendly caveat, not trying to be a jerk.

Looks like that is YOUR dept. :nono