PDA

View Full Version : Audio guys...keeping trunk from rattling when subs hit?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_kgb
04-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Well, I got my audio done finally. I got a MTX 6500D amp pushing two MTX 8000 12 inchers. They hit solid and hard and sound great until I close the trunk and it sounds like the trunk is going to blow off. Anyway to tighten the trunk down?

imported_dl9589
04-07-2003, 11:06 AM
I don`t know about tightening your lid down. But you can pick up some dynomat, which is a sound deadener/absorber...it will keep the top of your trunk from rattling.

imported_kgb
04-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Aurorav8

I don`t know about tightening your lid down. But you can pick up some dynomat, which is a sound deadener/absorber...it will keep the top of your trunk from rattling.

How does that keep the trunk from rattling? I have never used it.

mogulmonster
04-07-2003, 11:30 AM
You want dynamat, not dynomat. Dynamat is a metal vibration dampening pad. You can get a dynamat trunk kit direct from Dynamat (http://www.dynamat.com/), or you can usually get it from a car stereo shop.

edit: you can`t get it direct from them, but you can find a distributor on their site.

Jake11375
04-07-2003, 11:37 AM
You might want to check your license plate. It is a huge contribution to rattle or vibration. Dynamat has a kit for plates as well. I know Circuit City carries it and Jackie Cooper Electronics, Best Buy, most of the big name electronics stores.

imported_kgb
04-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Jake11375

You might want to check your license plate. It is a huge contribution to rattle or vibration. Dynamat has a kit for plates as well. I know Circuit City carries it and Jackie Cooper Electronics, Best Buy, most of the big name electronics stores.

I forgot to mention that the plate is not on the car.

Steve @ Guru
04-07-2003, 11:51 AM
I had 12-12" JLW6`s in my "winter beater" car, powered by 6 Soundstream Reference 500`s... aside from the leaking back window that suddenly developed, I had several layers of Dynamat on all of the interior metal surfaces of the car - it still vibrated (go figure), but the dynamat helped a ton.

Dynamat absorbs sound waves/vibrations. Take the lid from a pan and hit it with a spoon - the lid will ring like a gong. Place your hand on the backside of it and hit it again - it won`t ring, but it will "thud". That`s sort of what dynamat does.

thegeek
04-07-2003, 12:12 PM
I have 2 12" speakers in my car, but the only thing that rattles is the liscense plate. Does the Dynamat liscense plate thing work, or are there any other solutions?

mogulmonster
04-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Yes, the dynamat works for license plates. Have you tried just using some rubber grommets behind the plate? That would be a nice $1.50 fix, if it works out.

imported_Intermezzo
04-08-2003, 09:56 AM
2001civicex,

It`s actually quite a simple process. In addition to the sound deadening materials, you might want to check out the link below.... It`s from a forum that I consider the "Autopia of Civic Mods" :D

7thGenCivic.com DIY Page (http://www.7thgencivic.com/modules.php?s=&name=DIY&pa=list_pages_categories&cid=2)

Just scroll down to the "No More Trunk Rattle!" link.

(I never knew clearing my headlights could be so easy)

imported_kgb
04-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

2001civicex,

It`s actually quite a simple process. In addition to the sound deadening materials, you might want to check out the link below.... It`s from a forum that I consider the "Autopia of Civic Mods" :D

7thGenCivic.com DIY Page (http://www.7thgencivic.com/modules.php?s=&name=DIY&pa=list_pages_categories&cid=2)

Just scroll down to the "No More Trunk Rattle!" link.

(I never knew clearing my headlights could be so easy)

Hey sweet! I am on 7thgen too! Have been forever. I am not crazy about the new forum so I have been avoiding it cause of the pop ups. But I will agree...that site rocks for us 7th gens! I am bobbyd over there by the way.

imported_kgb
04-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Man, the thread was awesome! I love their new forums! haha I actually do like the site it is just the pop up ads are getting on my nerves while at work is all. Thanks again man now I have tonights project :D

imported_Intermezzo
04-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Yeah, talk about pop-up hell....LoL Not crazy about the speed either. Other than that, it`s a great site... I love how they`ve got a DIY section and it`s interesting how they always list the most recent searches whenever you try to do one yourself.

EDIT::: hope it works out for you. Fortunately, the trunk rattle article is one of the easiest to do. :)

imported_kgb
04-08-2003, 10:10 AM
yeah, the pop ups suck at work especially when it is for a penis enlargemnt or something. haha

Yeah, I also hope it works! I am going to try that tonight. I am sure it will though cause i can fell the trunk has some play and when i push on the trunk the ratlle goes away. Now I just have to hope that when I thow my license plate back on it won`t ratlle either. I got foam padding behind it though. Thanks again!

nate010753
04-10-2003, 07:40 AM
I had the same problem and to Dynomatt the entire trunk was going to be really expesive. So I went to Home Depot and in the roofing ailse they have a product called Peal-n-seal. It is like $15 a roll. I think I used 2 and may 1/4 of another one. But I pulled out all that was in the trunk and the carpet stuck it to the bare metal and violo no more rattling. Instead now my rear deck rattles :mad: :mad:

anyways I am going to peal and seal that as well. I also did the back of my license plate.

:xyxthumbs