PDA

View Full Version : boars hair brush

shep01
04-06-2003, 07:59 AM
i have been using the boars har brush for about 2 months now - using the large one to wash the car - i would like to hear others feedback regarding using the brush -

i have a white car so it is tough to tell if the brush scratches - everything i can verify says no

02 LTZ
04-06-2003, 09:05 AM
I never use a brush on my vehicle...puts little, tiny scratches in the clearcoat.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Accumulator
04-06-2003, 11:57 AM
shep01- I seem to be the official Griot`s Boar`s Hair Brush fanatic around here. Glad to hear you like the brush. We beat this one to death on a few threads a while back, so I`m not gonna ramble on too much ( a search on Boar`s/Boars Hair might bring it up). Some people get marring, others don`t. But some people get marring with chenille mitts, too. Someone claims to have had Scottwax test one out and said they concluded that it didn`t mar the finish they were testing it on; someone ELSE found that it did mar a black BMW. It ABSOLUTELY does not mar some vehicles, so if it works for you, keep using it. Note that there are a lot of different boar`s hair brushes out there, and I sent back a few (to Griot`s) that didn`t pass muster.

IMHO, the best things about the brush are 1) ease of use 2) perfectly clean rinsing 3) durability (but don`t expect the nice, soft flagged tips to last/stay flagged forever). Because of the free-rinsing, you`re not gonna get a speck of something abrasive stuck in it and swirl up your entire car (assuming the two bucket method, of course).

The one for wheels is SUPERB and the smaller ones are perfect for nooks and crannies. The flow-through one isn`t so soft so use it at your own risk.

shep01
04-06-2003, 02:02 PM
well - i started using the wheel brush several years ago; i finally tried the car brush when griot ran a sale on them. my experience, best i can observe, is that it is quite gentle on the finish. the MF products all grab contaminants and hold them - what good is that! what i do is insure that i allow a huge amount of clean soapy water to flow over the surface before i use the brush. i always wash in the direction the wind blows over the car - seems to work for me. on my black MCoupe - i think i got some scratching from it. on the white M3 and the steel grey x-5 i haven`t seen evidence of it. now maybe it is the Klase SG protecting it! I have Zaino on the black MCoupe.

I do believe the SG is the best protectant finish in the busines. I got 10-12 huge bird droppings on the brand new x-5. I went to an apt. building immediately and used a hose and got it off. Came home that night and in the flourescent light saw what seemed to be bad etching - i was pissed. Somehow - much to my amazement, over about a 30day period, after a second application of SG - all the splotches are gone - i mean totally gone. I had tried a mild abrasive to remove them but it did no good, yet they disappeared within a month. I think the etching/blotches were actually in the SG and as it wore - there went the markings.

I think over the SG the boars hair brush is fine - it may very well be dependant on the final finish on the car. I am done with zaino - plan of using aio/sg/platinum combo assuming the platinum doesn`t break down the sg. while sg may not be the best shine i think it is the hardest finish

Accumulator
04-07-2003, 11:37 AM
shep01- It seems the BMW black is a rather sensitive paint, easy to mar. Seems people are always saying how something or other caused swirling on their black Bimmer. See if it gets marred when you wash it with something else, then we`ll know if it was/is the brush.

Glad to hear the SG is protecting your ride. The cars I use it on seem rather invulnerable that way too.

shep01
04-07-2003, 05:05 PM
thanks for the feedback

the way i look at it, i rather have protection than the 10/10ths shine - it is a daily driver after all. The SG is the toughest finish - like putting a thin coat of plastic over the car. i have no hazing at all b/c of the way i apply it and remove it. i figured i`d try the platinum as a top coat - so long as it doesn`t break down the SG. I intend to use aio as my base coat from now on instead of zaino - it cleans and lays down a good sealant to work over - why bother with the extended drying times of the zaino plus i think zaino is less durable all the way around.

i use z-6 to wet the MF applicator as i apply SG - then, after first removal with the large mf towel - i z-6 again to get off any leftovers. that way no elbow grease to speak of and great results jfyi - i also apply SG from a fine mist spray bottle since less=more with all these polymers/acrylics

GP Infinity
04-07-2003, 05:28 PM
I use the GG boars hair brush on both the SUV and truck.. no probs.. I like the way it covers a large amount of territory very quickly.. it also rinses out clean every time... cant imagine going back.. it does have a failing that Griots admits to... if your vehicle is really dirty, sometimes it doesnt get it all and will leave some areas dirty on your vehicle.. it will do that but for me its the best.

shep01
04-07-2003, 06:45 PM
hard to go back, besides, no matter what you use it has flaws - the MF grabs a lot of particles that can easily scratch clear coat - at least the boards hair rinses clean - if there is a good coat of sealant on the car it doesn`t take much to clean anyway

ESP
04-07-2003, 09:25 PM
I have used boars hair brushes for years, have not seen any scratches with proper use. I have owned black bmws and have not scratched them with weekly washing over years and years.

Accumulator
04-08-2003, 11:34 AM
ESP-

I have used boars hair brushes for years, have not seen any scratches with proper use. I have owned black bmws and have not scratched them with weekly washing over years and years.

I`m VERY glad to hear that! I really think the BHB gets an undeservedly bad rap. And it seems that whatever will damage a car (brushes, clay, hard looks) will do it to a black BMW. Thanks for chiming in.

dboat- Yep on the very dirty car issue. I`ve just decided to always wash each panel twice no matter what.

shep01- Wonder what you might do differently do avoid scratching the M coupe :nixweiss (cool car, BTW). Whose soap do you use on it?

shep01
04-08-2003, 04:18 PM
i had been using zaino - iam actually in search of a good soap that i can buy in gallon or at least half gallon quantities - getting tired of all the shipping charges

i also tried the bmw dealer soap - i believe it is packaged for them by p21s - same bottle, different color - when they used to carry p21s and then went to their own branding i would bet they just got p21 to supply it - seems decent

any suggestions?

regarding the mcoupe - i really believe i saw the scratching when it was only zaino on it as finish coat - when i went to a top couple of coats of sg i really thing it resolved the problem

i am going to put the pupp over it as soon as my order shows up

Accumulator
04-08-2003, 06:56 PM
shep01- It`ll be great if your marring is just in your protection as opposed to the paint. That`s the "sacrificial layer" concept in action :xyxthumbs

I like Griot`s Car Wash. Cleans well, OK sudsing, VERY high lubricity, about $30 per gallon. No matter how strong I mix it up, it doesn`t seem to strip the SG any.

shep01
04-08-2003, 07:20 PM
usually i steer clear of Griots - just b/c they are usually so expensive - but $30 for a gallon is very resonable - i`ll try some asap - thanks - don`t care as much about the suds as i do about it being slimmy

Accumulator
04-09-2003, 12:14 PM
shep01- I`m with you on the suds v. lubricity issue. Griot`s wash isn`t the cheapest stuff out there, but when you compare it to the stuff that comes in little bottles it`s quite reasonable. Probably that only time we`ll say THAT about a Griot`s price!

shep01
04-09-2003, 06:00 PM
really appreciate all the help - love this forum - i am going to post my impressions when i do the aio-sg-pupp triplets - i have a feeling that`s as good as it gets w/o carnuba - which in miami is a waste of time - it melts as you are putting it on :-)