PDA

View Full Version : Need help with deep scratches...

ThumperAC
04-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Someone keyed my girlfriend`s silver dodge stratus. It is not all the way to the metal but it is clearly a good amount into the paint. The scratch is not wide at all just deep and about 7 inches long. What could we use to help fix this? Thanks for any help.

imported_BretFraz
04-04-2003, 12:13 AM
If its thru the clearcoat and color coat, the answer is "not much". A pro detailer might be able to minimize the damage by levelling the clearcoat around the scratches but that`s a mostly cosmetic fix. Best thing to do is a repaint of the area.

Its not the size of the scratch, its the depth that makes it unfixable unless repainted.

Scottwax
04-04-2003, 12:17 AM
What bretfraz said.

ThumperAC
04-04-2003, 12:26 AM
yup it is into the color coat. thanks for verifying that not much can be done besides a repaint.

Thanks

joeprestige
05-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Can I ask if it is only repainted in a spot or patch would there be a difference in the color tone after some time (long term)? I have a deep scratch, courtesy of vandals, on my E240 rear door. I am in a predicament as to whether to live with it or re-spray as I am concerned about the long term two tone effects. The E240 is only 6 months old. Any advice from fellow autopians?

Thanks very much.

huggybear
05-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Doesnt that make you want to hurt someone? Why are people that stupid. *sigh*

imported_memnuts
05-06-2003, 06:15 AM
Since Your Benz is so new - 6 mos ( very little paint fading and normal everyday wear) color matching and long term appearance may not be a problem. Work must be done by a quality paint shop that has dealt with this type of situation. Of course this is also very dependant on the color we are talking about ( light/dark metallic/ non-metallic).:(

joeprestige
05-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Thank blkz28conv. My color is brilliant silver. I am going to ask the car distributor on how they are going to do this. ie patch spray or do the entire door area so that they do not have to blend the newly sprayed part. I am afraid that they introduce swirl marks all over, in which case, the cure is worse than the disease.