PDA

View Full Version : Zymol QD Spray At Autozone....Interesting

Pages : [1] 2

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Hey Guys -

I was taking a look at the detailing supply section at the local AutoZone last night, and while I typically don`t purchase too many supplies there, I did notice that they had something new - bottles of Zymol QD spray. Now while this is probably produced and marketed by Turtle Wax, I figured I`d give it a try anyway.

I`ll be using it later today, so I can`t comment on it`s performance as of yet ,but it is a carnauba based product and it happens to smell like a banana smoothie. :D

Cost was $7.00 for a 16oz. bottle. Just thought I`d give a heads up.... :wavey

imported_memnuts
04-03-2003, 08:14 AM
arcticwhite,

Now that you have stimulated our curosity. What was it like? I love the smell of bananas on a warm spring/summer evening. ;)

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi -

I have yet to give it a try (I just started the thread a few minutes ago) but I will be trying it out later today.

The Vette should be a pretty good test bed as it has a layer of dust on it right now (gasp). It`s been uncovered for a few days so it`s in need of a quick detail.

The smell of the product is very interesting, probably just something added to "enhance" the experience. :cool:

I will keep you posted.....:)

Orange4jon
04-03-2003, 08:57 AM
I used the Zymol QD before. I only used it once. Not because I disliked it but because the ants loved it.

Nothing like having to Raid your freshly detailed car.

mercedesfanatic
04-03-2003, 10:24 AM
I`ve noticed that Autozone is also starting to carry Zymol`s bottom of the line liquid cleaner/wax. Walmart has it too.

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 10:30 AM
They`ve actually been carrying that for quite a while where I live. The comment about the ants makes me wonder if I`m going to have all of the local insects trying to "mate" with my car. Good grief. :lol

Originally posted by mercedesfanatic

I`ve noticed that Autozone is also starting to carry Zymol`s bottom of the line liquid cleaner/wax. Walmart has it too.

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Well, I went ahead and cleaned up the Vette with the Zymol (Turtle Wax?) QD spray, and I will have to say that it is a respectable product.

It is simple to work with and there are no hidden tips or tricks to it`s application and removal. Buffs easily, produces a nice shine, and makes your garage smell like you`ve been mixing drinks. ;)

I`m not going to rush back and buy every bottle that they had, but it`s something that I would probably pick up from time to time if I happen to be in the store.

imported_memnuts
04-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks arcticwhite, :xyxthumbs

Does it leave any type of smearing or residual because of the carnuaba contents? Any change ( enhancement) of your finish? How is the spray bottle (mist?)?

:wavey

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 01:46 PM
No, as a matter of fact it does not leave any smearing or residue at all, which is a nice feature. I also happened to have a bottle of another over-the-counter QD spray (Black Magic) that I had wanted to try out side by side next to the Zymol. The bottle of Black Magic QD is downstairs right now, and I can`t recall if it is carnauba based or not. :o Anyway, my point is that I found the Black Magic QD spray to be difficult to work with in comparison (I split the hood in 1/2). The Black Magic product is a thicker/heavier product and lends itself to smearing. I used PakShak microfiber with both products and the towels became noticeably bogged down with the Black Magic product. It`s not the end of the world, just not as easy to work with as the Zymol.

As far as enhancement, my eyes say no. Don`t get me wrong, it looks very good, but the finish also looks that way with Clear Pearl, Show Off, Body Gloss and other carnauba based sprays. Keep in mind that the car has many layers of Souveran Paste as a base as well.

The spray bottle is okay, although next time I may twist the end to try and get it to spray in a more fine pattern. If you think that you may want to try it, go ahead and purchase a bottle; it`s not really one of those products that you will use once and then never touch again, but it also won`t make you have to have more immediately. It`s a respecatble product that is worth a try. :)

imported_memnuts
04-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks again arcticwhite,

I will pick up bottle. Thanks for the heads-up on Black Magic :xyxthumbs

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Not a problem. If I had to recommend one of the two for a readily available/carnauba based QD spray, it would be the Zymol.

Whether carauba based or not, I just did not care for the Black Magic QD. It has a strong cherry scent to it as well, so between the 2 products I think my car smells like a fruit salad. :LOLOL

shaf
04-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Sorry for being a bit OT, but if you like carnauba QDs that smell like bananas, Auto Magic makes one too named Magic Mist. :)

panapower
04-03-2003, 02:15 PM
I`ll have to check it out when I run out of my Eimann QD. Thanks for the test.

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 02:21 PM
How would I go about purchasing Magic Mist? Thanks. :)

Originally posted by 4DSC

Sorry for being a bit OT, but if you like carnauba QDs that smell like bananas, Auto Magic makes one too named Magic Mist. :)

MicroRacer
04-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I bought some of the Zymol, but haven`t used it because I`m still in the SG phase. Souveran will be my topper. How would you compare the Z to crystal mist??

PEACE