PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s foam pads

chris0626
04-03-2003, 01:30 AM
The more I get into Autopia, the more aware I become of the risk of scratching/micromarring/swirls. So ... I tend to use foam applicators for Zaino and carnauba toppers, and have not seen any marring. But now that I`m becoming a Gen-u-ine Autopian, I`m looking more critically at the foam applicators in local stores. One thing that worries me: The Meg`s applicators are readily available, a good price, and seem quite soft. But Meguiar`s marks that one side with what seems like a hard impression. I generally use the non-embossed side, then toss the pad. What do you all think? Is the "embossed" side a danger? Does it pose a risk of scratching? I don`t do the kind of testing that some of you do (I`ve read mentions of "the CD test," but dont really understand it), and I`m hoping someone has looked into this.

Any advice? experiences? guess-timates?

jerry@robs
04-03-2003, 01:44 AM
I use both sides of the Meg pad, no marring for me...

MBZ 500E
04-03-2003, 02:02 AM
I also use both sides without any problems. I usually wash mine after every use and if they fall on the floor they go to the wash or trash depending where they fall.

old_gonzo
04-03-2003, 07:41 AM
While I only use the non-embossed side of the Meguiar`s foam pad, I venture to say that the embossed side will not marr. The embossing is simply recesses in the foam; the recesses are no more softer or harder than any other part of the pad, simply uneven.

imported_Aurora40
04-03-2003, 10:59 AM
I`ve never used the embossed side. It would worry me a bit too (not sure why, but it just would). However, I dont` toss my pads after one use. I wash them in the wash with my towels. Of course, depending on what I use them for, they won`t touch paint again. I usually mark the back side (embossed side) once they get gross or are used with some product that makes them unusable on paint.

If you ever happen to order from Meg`s direct, pick some up that way. You can get 12 for about $5.50, which is less than 50 cents a pad. In the stores they are usually like 2 pads for $2. This might be especially beneficial if you pitch them after one use...

johnson
04-03-2003, 11:03 AM
I use the non embossed side only because I dont like holding the side already covered with product. Also, I press the sides and pinch it so I get a hold on it. Like above, I used to throw the pads away because of the cost, but now I just wash after every use.