PDA

View Full Version : Buffing

JKD
04-02-2003, 10:24 PM
I am going to buff my car before I use the Zaino.Previous buffing episodes have produced ok results.My main problem when using a foam pad are areas of product that dry hard when buffing and it won`t come off except by vigorous hand wiping.Should I mist these areas with a water bottle and rebuff?I am using 3m Perfect It Machine glaze with a pneumatic buffer.This has been a problem with all buffing media that I have used in the past ,and occurs with foam pads and lambskin pads.Am I buffing correctly?Thanks JKD:nixweiss

Anthony O.
04-02-2003, 11:17 PM
JKD,

This is caused mainly from using too much product or a loaded pad and as it passes over a raised area, body molding or edge it "Unloads" itself thus causing these dried product patches.

Clean your pads often, use your product sparingly and slow down when buffing. I remove these patches with either more product or a mixture of alcohol and water lightly misted over the area then wiped up.

Hope that helps

Anthony

shaf
04-03-2003, 01:35 AM
I agree, try using less product and you could also try spraying on some QD to help wipe off more stubborn residues. Are you buffing it off by hand or using your buffer? Sorry I`m getting a bit lost in all your talk about buffing with a buffer.... :p

JKD
04-04-2003, 12:53 AM
I am tryng to use the buffer to remove the glaze but it just dries in areas and won`t come off without hand wiping the remaining areas.Also ,I am using very little of the machine glaze,so I don`t think the amount is an issue. The directions on the bottle say apply glaze with the pad ,but I am using an applicator using a very thin layer and then buffing.I have tried buffing using the directions but it seems worse.Thanks for your input. JKD

Anthony O.
04-04-2003, 01:00 AM
jkd,

I never use a buffer and foam pad to remove any product. Some folks do but I feel you are only introducing more swirls this way.

Apply the glaze by machine and remove by hand.

Anthony

Accumulator
04-04-2003, 11:29 AM
JKD- Besides the reasons Anthony mentioned, some products just seem to do this more than others. Sometimes it has to do with the speed (or some other characteristic) of your buffer (e.g., people seem to have this problem more with Cyclo`s than with PC`s- with the Cyclo, I`ll sometimes get it on even flat areas). Also, removal by foam pad seldom works well, and even removal by MF bonnet is imperfect at best. You really are better off to work it in with the machine and then wipe by hand. If you have shoulder problems etc. that`s different (go with the MF bonnets).

I`m with 4DSC and Anthony on using a spritz of something to help soften the residue before you wipe it off (less need to rub hard/less chance of damaging the finish). I like Meg`s FI for this. It has a little of the alcohol that Anthony recommends (and you could add more if you want to better remove fillers), and offers increased lubricity over the alcohol/water mix (though the mix is fine if you like using it-a lot of it`s personal preference).

imported_Tony
04-04-2003, 12:00 PM
David`s video might help:http://autopia-carcare.com/lib/autopia/Buffing768.wmv

shaf
04-04-2003, 01:58 PM
I apologize again for not quite getting your post :rolleyes: but I hope you`re not saying you apply the 3M Machine Glaze by hand with a foam applicator pad?