PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for light scratches

pancho1984
04-02-2003, 10:08 AM
I somehow inflicted lots of fine scratches during my last wash (I think it was a combo of the new mitt I used and the encrusted dirt and road salt). The scratches are linear in the direction of the air flow over the car. Anyways, would I work the PTBD (product to be determined) perpendicular to the scratches or in the same direction (being the standard direction for washing, waxing, etc.)? Is it product dependent?

It is a black VW Passat with SEP+S100. The SEP hid the scratches somewhat. No PC so everything is done by hand.

For the product, should I start with something like VM (want to try it anyway in place of SEP) or one step more aggressive? Suggestions?

thanks

imported_Tony
04-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Maybe this will help

BY Scottwax--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by blk96gt

Well I just got done looking at Scottwax`s pictures, and all I can say is wow! Those cars look amazing. Does anyone know what he uses for swirls by hand?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what he uses!

It depends on the swirls, usually Meguiars Swirl Free Polish, but for deeper swirls, I start with Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish, then follow with Swirl Free, then a very light polish/glaze like Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or S100 SEC before waxing.

I use terry cloth towels folded into 1/8ths size with DACP and SFP, work small areas, and refold the towels when I move to another area.

Being grown up isn`t half as fun as growing up.

ttwax:

pancho1984
04-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks rightlane, I found that post when doing a search on swirl removal in general. My specific question is about fine scatches that go in one direction. Do you buff against the grain or with? And what should I try first before moving to something more aggressive?

shaf
04-03-2003, 01:31 AM
I`d say that if they`re "scratches" and not just swirling that you can see in certain light, I would go against the grain then finish up near the end going in the direction of airflow (and up & down on the verticals). Try a using the milder product, like the SFP rightlane suggested, once or twice then move up to DACP if you decide that doesn`t work fast enough.

What kind of mitt were you using to cause this?

pancho1984
04-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks 4DSC. They definitely are scratches and not swirls.

It was a lambs wool mitt that I bought out of desperation because my car was filthy and the lambs wool mitt I had been using for a year finally fell apart. I think I got it at Walmart. Needless to say, its in the trash. (To continue the story, I then purchased Viking 100% Cotton mitts to only to find the NOT 100% cotton story break the next day, egad. Now I am once again mittless).

shaf
04-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Hmm, that`s strange then. Was that mitt hard or soft feeling? I and many others happily use genuine sheepskin mitts without damage. Wait.... was this real sheepskin with the leather inside, or a "wool" mitt with foam and cloth inside?

pancho1984
04-03-2003, 10:29 PM
it was not leather inside but there was no foam, more like a heavy cloth. I was really happy with my previous sheepskin mitt so I didn`t think twice about using the new one.

If you know of a readily available mitt that you`re happy with, please post.