PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct?

kwan1
04-02-2003, 02:59 AM
This is my first post so go easy on me. I did use the search function, and there was mixed results. So to be 100%, i decided to post my own. SO the general conception about MF towels is that they can be used for everything except applying wax/polish/glaze/sealeant?

SO i plan on using MF for...

1. Wash the car, but wouldn`t the MF trap all the dirt and can cause some damage? using two buckets could probably solve the problem right? One to rinse after it contacts the car.

2. Use MF towels to dry the car along with absorber/Cali blade.

3. Apply the polish/glaze/sealant/wax with a foam applicator and then buff off with MF towels. I do own a random orbital buffer, so should i just use the buffer for everything? I don`t think they make MF caps for my oribital.

Currently i don`t own any MF towels, so how many should i buy to start up my collection? I know that pakshak have the best MF, so i plann on ordering from them soon.

Thanks.

jerry@robs
04-02-2003, 05:35 AM
Kwan, you`ll have a hard time washing the car using an MF because it doesn`t hold in a lot of soapy water. Much like using a towel to wash the car. A washmitt holds tons of water due to the fibers` ability to soak up water by itself.

Depending on the MF towel`s blend and weave type, you might not get good results with drying with an MF by itself. If you do use a blade or absorber, then a regular 70/30 blend terry weave MF would do fine for a final wipe. But by itself, you`ll end up pushing the water around instead of absorbing it. A 80/20 blend or waffle weave MF will work better for drying purposes as it absorbs water more.

You can use your buffer to apply and remove polish and glaze. In most cases you`ll use too much product if you apply waxes and glazes with a machine since the pad will most likely absorb most of the product instead of the paint.

As for how many, I think 6-10 pcs will do nicely for 1 car... You can use 2 for glass, 1 for interior, the rest for paint.

TurboCat
04-02-2003, 06:45 AM
I use a genuine lambswool mitt for washing. Holds suds really well, won`t scratch your paint and they are inexpensive.

I use foam pads for applying polish and wax.

I use MF pads for applying Klasse AIO and SG.

And finally, use MF towels for wiping and buffing the surface after claying, polishing and waxing.

Also use a waffle-weave MF for drying my car after washing.

:)

imported_BretFraz
04-02-2003, 07:45 AM
I think the main reason most people do not use MF towels for applying wax/sealant is the expense of the towel. A foam or terry covered pad is really cheap - get it dirty or drop it and you just toss it out. Tossing out a MF towel that may have cost several dollars affects one`s wallet quickly.

If you have many cotton towels all you need is about 10 MF`s. If you have no towels then start with 15-20. I have ~40 MF towels but really only use 10-12 since my old cotton towels augment the MF`s.

Pakshak`s towels are excellent but there are many sources for MF`s. MicrofiberTech, Neatitems, Yo Steve, CMA are a few others.

kwan1
04-02-2003, 11:01 AM
SO the buffer is a go? DO u guys here generally use buffers if you had one or prefer to use hands? So heres the revised procedure.

1.wash using sheepskin mit.

2.dry using absorber,blade, and MF last.

3.Apply wax/glaze/sealent/polish using foam applicator, or buffer with foam bonnet.

4.Buff off wax using MF towel, or unless i can get my hands on some MF bonnets. Is cotton terry cloth bonnet okay for buffing?

So does this one sound a little better?

Thanks guys.

Lowejackson
04-02-2003, 11:17 AM
#2 use MF or waffle for drying.

I would not use a cloth for buffing, use another MF towel. There is no such thing as enough MF towels to use on your car (or house)

chris0626
04-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Kwan, I too urge you to get one of the large waffle-weave MFs for drying. They are awesome! :up

Personally, I`m in the camp that would never let a blade or CWB touch my precious Jag. You might want to consider the facts and opinions offered in this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17555) before making up your mind.

About washing: I trust you know about and plan to use the 2-bucket method? (Me, I go for 3-bucket just to be extra safe.)

Accumulator
04-02-2003, 11:56 AM
kwan1- Welcome to Autopia. I often use machine-application and removal to avoid shoulder problems, but be prepared to do SOME work by hand for better control. I would NOT use the terry bonnets, they might induce marring. Some of us feel that most of the MF bonnets (Viper brand) aren`t soft enough either (good, plush, MF towels are much softer), but it`s a close call, depending a lot on your particular car. The suede-style bonnets are OK, but they are more for removing sealants than waxes. As Lynn said, the CWB can cause scratches (not just swirls) if it picks up something abrasive. I only use it on cars I`m not TOO particular about. Gotta be VERY careful with it. You`ll really like the waffle-weave MF`s.

Nick T.
04-02-2003, 01:45 PM
<center>:welcome Welcome to Autopia Kwan :welcome</CENTER>

Originally posted by kwan1

SO the buffer is a go? DO u guys here generally use buffers if you had one or prefer to use hands? So here’s the revised procedure.A Porter Cable is great for dealing with surface marring on the entire car, but certainly not necessary. Doing it by hand gives a much better “feel†for the surface.

1.wash using sheepskin mitt.A mitt does hold more shampoo/water, but it makes it more difficult to control the amount of pressure you apply. IMO most marring is caused by rubbing undissolved debris across the paint. A 16â€x16†microfiber towel folded into a 8†square holds sufficient shampoo/water for a pass or two and gives a much better feel. On horizontal surfaces I use no pressure, only the weight of the wet towel. On vertical surface I use only enough pressure to maintain contact with the paint. If this leaves some unremoved dirt, then deal with them on an individual basis.

2.dry using absorber,blade, and MF last.Using a water blade is just asking for trouble! Use a good quality waffle weave MF towel (the Big Blue is the best) and blot, don’t rub.

3.Apply wax/glaze/sealent/polish using foam applicator, or buffer with foam bonnet.Foam applicators cause marring! Try rubbing a dry foam applicator on your clean paint, and right next to it repeat with microfiber. If you hand demands the use of an applicator, then use microfiber. I much prefer to use a MF towel - a 16â€x16†towel cut into four 8†squares for liquid, and cut into nine 5†squares for paste.

4.Buff off wax using MF towel, or unless i can get my hands on some MF bonnets. Is cotton terry cloth bonnet okay for buffing? Buff off using good quality MF towels using a very light pressure.

<center>Microfiber does not cause marring! People cause marring!</center>

<CENTER>:usa</CENTER>

PakShak
04-02-2003, 01:47 PM
A 70/30 composition waffle weave micro fiber towel will actually absorb more liquid than a 80/20 blend. Because there are more polyamide fibers. Usually it is a blend of polyester/polyamide. The polyester is used for cleaning and durability and the polyamide is to absorb.

With Aloha,

~Ranney

kwan1
04-02-2003, 02:33 PM
This forum is great! so many warm welcomes and advices. Thanks all those who reply, now i`ll try this again one more time:)

1. Wash using a microfiber towel folded into appropriate size.

2. Blot dry using absorber and Waffle MF towel.

3. use mf towel to apply wax/sealent/polish/glaze.

4. buff off using MF towels.

This whole world of MF is new to me so thanks for all the help :up

chris0626
04-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Oh, Kwan1, I feel your pain. This new world can be pretty confusing, can`t it? :sosad See the Jngrbrdman quote in my sig? Learn it, live it. The point of Autopia is not simply to evaluate/recommend products, but to help us all learn the techniques that will maximize our results. I know you`re trying to get rock-solid advice so you can do a great job. But ... I feel I must muddy the waters a bit.

NickT is obviously a great fan of MFs for everything. I love them too, for certain applications. However -- fully bowing to NickT`s greater experience -- I would still respectfully disagree with using them for washing. Here`s my thinking: One of the features of MFs is that they grab and hold any solid they encounter. Once my S.O. washed a scrubber-sponge with my MFs, and I never was able to get all those abrasive specks out of the MF cloth. So ... imagine when washing your car with a MF: It will dutifully grab and hold onto those dirt and sand bits. I believe that increases the risk of micromarring.

So ... I would recommend washing with something you trust to be gentle. Be sure to use a good-quality carwash soap with lots of sudsing action and high lubricity. This poll (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20706) will show you some of Autopians` favorite brands. But the important thing to remember is that "elbow grease" has no role to play in car-washing. The more pressure you use, the greater your risk of scratches.

Now .. about drying ... I think you`ve heard lots of votes for the waffleweave MFs. Get one. Blot the car dry, don`t rub it dry. But what`s this "absorber" you mention? I`m not familiar with that. (Probably my ignorance showing there.)

I also agree with bretfraz about using MFs for wax/sealant/glaze/etc. I never would. I use clean foam applicators for most of these -- always remembering that if my arm starts aching/tensing, then I`m using too much pressure and thus increasing the chance of scratches/micromarring.

Buffing: Some things buff off nicely with a MF; others buff off nicely with a 100% cotton towel. Experimentation (and continued research) will help you figure out what works best for you.

Most important of all, buy the e-book (http://autopia-carcare.com/autguidtodet.html)! Read it, study it, sleep with it til it all starts to sink in. :xyxthumbs

shaf
04-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Welcome Kwan, if you want to buff off products with your buffer but don`t have any MF bonnets, don`t worry - Brad B. came along with this great tip :xyxthumbs

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16614

kwan1
04-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the advice lynn, i think i am gonna go with what you said, experiment a little and see what method produces what results. Thanks:up

imported_nowaterno
04-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Absorber not needed with waffle weave MF towel. Just blot dry with the waffleweave towel. You can easily dry the entire car without even wringing out the towel. Try that with the Absorber ( I know, I used to use it:))