PDA

View Full Version : How to get the paint to POP!

Barrett
04-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Ok, all favoritisms aside, how do I get a paint to pop out at you? I have a green 99 JXi Sebring convertible with an excellent condition beautiful black cloth top and only 33,000 miles. I clayed it, Mequirs paint cleaner and Mequirs gold class wax. I realize that wasn`t my best choice but it was what I had on hand. It looks shiny, but doesn`t have that pizazz! I don`t think the paint job is bad.

I am ready to purchase via web some products but don`t know what will be best. I read the reviews and am totally confused, everyone has their preferences. It is like reading reviews about TV`s, they all describe a great picture, but I can`t see it! Maybe my question itself is too subjective, but I`ve got to try. All I want is to get the color to Shine! Can anyone help?

Anthony O.
04-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Lindy,

Sounds like you may need to use a glaze or polish between the cleaner and wax steps.

If you like Meguirs then you may want to try their #3, #9 or a show car favorite #7.

If you want to go the polymer route then Blackfire Gloss and Sealant might be a good choice. You can top this combo off with your favorite carnuba. My fav choice is Trade Secret from Top of the Line. I also get great results with P21S or even Pinnacle Liquid.

Hope that helps.

Anthony

schoi
04-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Welcome! :wavey

Hard to say. You`re going after shine? Well, how flawed is your paint? Oxidation? Scratches? Swirls?

I`m sure that all of us here will agree that the vast, vast majority of what you`ll perceive as "results" will stem directly from your prep work. On a properly prepped surface, a final layer of P21S paste wax or Souveran will look great; on a crappy one, it will look, well, crappy. Very simple.

Besides, it is kind of a subjective question. As a generic answer, I`d say that you should just check out your paint. If it needs cleaning (oxidation removal and such), then do it, and to a thorough job. Same goes with minor scratches/swirls. You`ve probably already got the contamination with the clay thing.

Now, past *that*, you`re gonna find that different products will give slightly different results. Klasse AIO and SG will offer a brighter shine (which sounds like what you`re going for), whereas Blackfire or a glaze/wax combo will offer more depth.

I dunno if this helps at all. Any pics? Better way to describe your problem?

imported_doug
04-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Meguiar`s Gold Class is not the shiniest, but it is quite close. Let`s be sure you used the right stuff the right way. Did you use the paste or liquid? I like the liquid, which I apply with the orbital because it really thins/evens it out. I have found it really wants to be dry. Do the whole car, wait at least one hour before buffing it off. Make sure you use microfiber.

A second coat will help - but only by a small margin. Wait at least 24 hours before applying.

P21 and Souveran have even better depth.

If the car doesn`t "pop" with Gold Class and you DID apply as described above, then perhaps the problem was your use of the Meguiar`s Paint Cleaner. I assume you`re talking about Medallion here. That is actually pretty harsh stuff, and therefore it needs to be worked good and hard to break the abrasives down into finer and finer particles. Straight out of the bottle it will add fine scratches that will in fact leave the surface looking a little hazy. (I`d be surprised if the waxc didn`t hide that, at least temporarily, though.)

SulVento
04-01-2003, 10:52 PM
I`ll throw my $.02 in, but opinions are like...well...you know... :D

Green paint job eh? I am assuming it is NOT lime green or some other shade that resembles a spoiled fruit or vomit. :shocked

I have a Jade Green Sequoia and my preference goes to Black Fire Shampoo , Polish, and then Paint Protection, followed by Souveran Paste Wax.

All great, easy to use products. Polish and Protection applied by a PC and Souveran applied and removed by hand.

Here is a link to the Toyota board I also hang out at, it has pics of my ride with these products. No "mind bending" snap shots, but these pics were taken with the vehicle / modification in mind, not the paint.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=6982&cat=500&thumb=1

G`luck!

Scottwax
04-01-2003, 11:18 PM
I`ve found that the combination of Meguiars Swirl Free Polish, Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose and S100 Paste Wax gives most `pop`, especially on metallic paints.

jerry@robs
04-04-2003, 05:36 AM
In most cases, I like to use DACP + IHG + SCPW

yankees1
04-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Pinnacle Souveran! Just switched to it last night and FANTASTIC RESULTS!

Lowejackson
04-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Completly agree with Polaris, prep is where the real difference is between OK and WOW.

Steven

Patrick
04-04-2003, 12:13 PM
I have a Jade Green Sequoia and my preference goes to Black Fire Shampoo , Polish, and then Paint Protection, followed by Souveran Paste Wax.

Clean clean clean....Women on here know you need to exfoliate your skin....Same applies to paint surfaces, you really need to clean your paint PRIOR TO ANYTHING(Clay, and paint cleanser)......Your next step is polish, and with dark green, and Im assuming its metallic/pearl, BF II is my recommendation....You may need a glaze after that, but thats your call, course next step if a sealer, BF II again....BF II tends to be a dust magnet until your next wash, but you can avoid that by QD`ing the following day....., or applying your favorite carnauba....I have found that not many carnaubas enhance what BF II does, but it will help cut down on the dust problem.....

Barrett
04-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Ok, sorry, I`ve been away. Thanks everyone for the responses.

The paint appears to be in a good condition. Yes, it is a dark green/metallic color. I used Mequiers Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner to remove any oxidation. Maybe switch to Medallion? I also intend to pick up some #9. Note that everything I am doing is by hand. Not sure if I am ready to go the PC route yet. The Gold Class I used is liquid. Maybe I am doing things wrong....clay, paint cleaner/swirl remover, wax...is this right? Where does a glaze fall into here? What does it do?

I liked what I`ve read about Blackfire. Pinnacle Souveran, sounds interesting. P21, Klasse AIO and SG, don`t know anything. Sounds like I got a lot to learn.