PDA

View Full Version : WD40 as a vinyl cleaner??

blackntan
04-01-2003, 08:48 PM
I have a vinyl boot on my mx5 to cover the top when it`s down. It`s tan, as is my leather interior.

It`s been in storage since winter, and I took it out yesterday to find it got all stained up with something, no idea what, but it looked to be some sort of dye bleeding onto it from moisture and what-not...

I took it to a uphostlry shop after several attempts to remove the stain, with the usual assortment of vinyl cleaners...

The shop manager took one look at the stains, busted out a can of WD40, and rubbed away. :eek:

2 seconds later, he wiped the stain away like it was nothing!!

He then cleaned the rest of the dirty boot the same way, and now it looks better than it has in a long time.. It`s dry, but clean as anything!

So 2 questions...

1) What do I treat it with to re-moisturize the boot?

2) What the F**k is up with WD40 as a cleaner?? How bad was that???

blackntan
04-02-2003, 11:26 AM
noone??

gnahc79
04-02-2003, 11:49 AM
303 aerospace protectant (in boat/marine shops), meg`s rubber and vinyl, and BMW`s gummi-something work great for vinyl.

u use a leather conditioner for the interior, right?

as for the wd40...not sure, but since it wasn`t left on there for a long time it should be ok.

DinosGSR
04-02-2003, 11:49 AM
I`m gonna take a shot at question number two.

I am willing to bet that the stain was water-based, therefore putting oil (WD40) would have raised the water stain from the surface, and when wiped away, oil, by nature, dries the surface, as does oil to your skin.

Maybe a good shot of leather refresher/cleaner will help to quench the vinyl`s thirst. :)

DETAILKING
04-02-2003, 12:39 PM
i would try and find one that is a bit more dilute for use on vinyl though. WD40 full strength may be a bit overkill.