PDA

View Full Version : Brand new black Cadillac CTS... Now...

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
03-30-2003, 11:18 PM
Well, my dad got a brand new Cadillac CTS to make up for the `98 VW Passat that just blew up after 130K+ miles. I absolutely love the car and I want to make it look beautifully deep, dark black. As well as put a nice shine on the upgraded 17" wheels and tires he got for it too.

I want to do it with a PC. Here`s the kicker... I`ve never used one. Don`t worry, I wasn`t planning on goin out there and just starting out my first time on his brand new baby with a PC. I was going to test it on my dark blue Explorer. Now the question is (seeing as I already have the Klasse AIO, SG, Souveran(not liquid), along with PPCL and the Poly-clay bar and lube) where can I get a PC for a good price online (or in a chain store)??? I would like the best price possible...

Help me out...

P.S. I know there are probably other threads on this, but I just wanted to ask myself. I`m lazy as heck. :(

imported_BretFraz
03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
If I were you I`d buy the PC kit sold at Coastal Tool and the pads from CMA. That way you have everything you need to start with.

I guess its possible to find the PC cheaper elsewhere but then you have to shop around for all the accessories. I don`t think you save much $$ in the long run. Buy your stuff from one or two suppliers and be done with it.

imported_Smoker
03-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Lowes sell the PC for $109.

I havnt seen it cheaper anywhere else.

C. Charles Hahn
03-31-2003, 11:12 AM
S...E...A...R...C...H...!!!

;)

imported_Aurora40
03-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Sweet! I really think the CTS is sharp. However, it needs a bit more wood inside and two more cylinders under the hood to get me out of my Aurora. If you want to save a little, get the pads from Meguiar`s. You can get a backing plate, two polishing pads, and one finishing pad for pretty cheap. They have a package that includes those and it is like $30. Plus, you can get a lot of hand apps for about $.50 apiece. I think they are nicer than the ones I have gotten from other places (usually came with a kit). Plus, you can order up some hand polish or SFP if your dealer threw some swirls in for free.

Post some pictures when you are done!

Accumulator
03-31-2003, 12:30 PM
ExplorerXLT95-Don`t worry about using the PC on the new CTS- you`ll be fine. DO be careful with the Poly-Clay. I seem to recall some people having marring issues with it, especially on black.

ExplorerXLT95
04-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Alright, here`s an update on this situation guys. My dad has given me the OK to purchase a PC because in his words, "I`m gonna take care of this car." Now the question is, what is the Porter Cable number? I really can`t remember and I need to know, for obvious reasons. Yes, I know these are all "Autopia University" type questions, so please excuse me, but I haven`t been really focusing on detailing as of late and I have let my knowledge and such slip a little bit.

P.S. What type of pads do I need and where should I buy them?

imported_BretFraz
04-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

S...E...A...R...C...H...!!!

;)

ExplorerXLT95
04-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Yea yea yea yea..... :nixweiss :(

If someone could just tell me the PC # please... I promise no more stupid questions that have been asked 1.23 billion times before.

P.S. Someone mentioned marring on black cars with the Pinnacle Poly-Clay. If not that clay bar, then what should I use? I intend to clay it, seeing as we might as well start this baby off on the right foot, unlike my truck. Besides, I want to get any of that rail dust off of the car ASAP. Let me know what kind of clay bar and lube would do better than the Pinnacle Poly-Clay for the brand new black CTS...

imported_BretFraz
04-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Dear Sucky Lazy Autopia Member,

PC #7424 or 7336 (same basic machine)

Buy the PC kit from Coastal Tool.

Get pads from CMA or TOL.

Any more info will cost you $50 cash upfront.

:nono :nono

Scottwax
04-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

:lol x eleventy billion! Too funny!

VetteToVair
04-04-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ExplorerXLT95

Let me know what kind of clay bar and lube would do better than the Pinnacle Poly-Clay for the brand new black CTS...

Poly-Clay isn`t my favorite(Mothers) clay bar, but there`s certainly nothing wrong with it. I dont believe there is any more danger of marring a finish than with other clay bars:nixweiss Just take the normal precautions and you should be fine.

chris0626
04-04-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

YES! I continue to be amazed and impressed that so many of you veteran autopians keep giving out this basic info again and again. You`re the greatest, guys! :bow :bow

Also, somebody surely oughta tell ExplorerXLT95 about 4DSC`s

Definitive Porter Cable (PC) Accessorizing Guide (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421).

raymond_ho2002
04-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Man.. its one thing to wander in as a new user of message forums who doesn`t know about the search function, but its another to deliberately ask even though you`ve been here long enough (i.e., 200 posts) to know that people don`t like repeating information that can easily be found.

Accumulator
04-04-2003, 11:50 AM
ExplorerXLT95- For the clay you could probably find some Clay Magic or Mother`s locally. If you can wait, I`d get David`s new clay kit.

stanger99- I`m the guy who posted/posts about the Poly Clay marring. I can`t remember when, but there have been a few threads on here that mentioned it. One was on a new, black BMW (and man, was he upset). Hope I`m not just perpetuating some BS, but I`d hate for someone to mess up their (father`s) new black ride. With all the different clays available (including the new Autopia kit), I figure why take chances.