PDA

View Full Version : Zaino on wheels?

Chan Bates
03-30-2003, 10:00 AM
I have read here wheels stay cleaner longer and are easier to clean if they are waxed. I have also read that carnuba waxes may not stay on wheels well because of the heat, so I guess that means they should be sealed rather than waxed?

If I understand correctly, Zaino Z2 is a paint (clear coat) polish/sealer. Could I use that on my BMW Z4 wheels, and if so, what prep work should I do first, and what would be the best application method?

Alternate suggestions?

CB3

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1760[/IMG]

imported_BretFraz
03-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Yep, you`re right. Carnaubas evaporates at temps close to 200*F while many sealants can still handle it.

You can use Zaino if you want but you still have to polish & clean the wheels as you would the paint. I prefer Klasse AIO on wheels as it too will maintain protection but it also has a mild cleaner in it providing for "one step" protection. Blackfire, Platinum, Duragloss, Finish First, Liquid Glass, etc will all work fine to protect wheels.

schoi
03-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Yeah, definitely go with a sealant. A carnauba wax isn`t gonna last long there.

I personally went with AIO and SG the last time I did my wheels like that. It came out quite nicely.

jfeliot
03-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Synthetics like Zaino are great on rims & last much longer. Brake dust when it comes off the pads is very hot & will eat through carnuba like it`s not even there.

My car is a daily driver, sits outside and gets driven in winter about 5000 miles on roads salted so bad they turn white. Only washing for November to late March is a quick spray off at the car wash (no wiping).

I just gave the rims their "spring clean" on Friday. A little bit of Meg`s all purpose cleaner agitated with a tooth brush to work the grit out of the pores of the metal, followed a polish with Megs#9 and another coat of Z1/Z2 left them looking like new again. For the balance of the "detailing season" they`ll just require a quick wipe to clean and another occasional coat of Z2.

One thing I found was if you use Meg`s all purpose cleaner on your rims, try to avoid getting it on your brake disks. I did once and had to put up with squeaking brakes for about 2 weeks after.