PDA

View Full Version : How can I remove swirl marks by hand?

migace312
03-30-2003, 02:47 AM
I thought I`d give it a try and see if i can get some of them out. I have a Black 1995 Jetta and the previous owner didn`t take very good care of the paint. What is the best technique for removing swirl marks by hand? whats the best SMR product for this? What precautions should I take before I go ahead and try to remove these swirl marks?

JL9000
03-30-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by migace312

I thought I`d give it a try and see if i can get some of them out. I have a Black 1995 Jetta and the previous owner didn`t take very good care of the paint. What is the best technique for removing swirl marks by hand? whats the best SMR product for this? What precautions should I take before I go ahead and try to remove these swirl marks?

I asked the same question to Scottwax and this is his reply:

"Swirl Free should remove minor swirls. Use a terry cloth towel folded into 1/8ths so it forms a thick pad so you can apply even pressure, work until nearly clear and dry then buff off the excess."

I hope he doesn`t mind me saying this for him.:p

And good luck to you.:)

gnahc79
03-30-2003, 03:46 AM
a garage with lots of artificial light or a portable halogen/flood light helps a ton too. After polishing a section look at it from all angles up close.

If you use a portable light, make sure you don`t leave it on a section....those lights get hot quick.

migace312
03-30-2003, 06:42 AM
Has anyone actually been succesful when it comes to removing swirl marks by hand?

Nick T.
03-30-2003, 09:51 AM

Has anyone actually been succesful when it comes to removing swirl marks by hand? Yes, but a power assist is much better if you`re doing the whole car.

Derektri
03-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Not for me. I used smr on the hood of my car and it removed very few swirl marks. For the amount of time and effort I put in to it, it wasn`t worth it. I recently tried a pc for the first time and I was amazed at how easy it was to use and how it quickly it removed the swirl marks.

Nick T.
03-30-2003, 09:57 AM

What is the best technique for removing swirl marks by hand? Follow the instructions on the bottle.

What’s the best SMR product for this? 3M SMR is good. Meguiar’s offers a range of abrasiveness in their products.

What precautions should I take before I go ahead and try to remove these swirl marks? Start with a clean surface.

Doing the entire car by hand is a big job. I’d recommend that you just do one area (half of the hood, door, etc.) at a time. Good luck and have fun!

schoi
03-30-2003, 11:07 AM
I never really had much luck in SMR`ing by hand. The 7424, though, is a different story. :D

jfeliot
03-30-2003, 11:39 AM
I need to do just the upper surfaces on mine to remove some marks from where a friend helped brush the snow off my car.

Previously I`ve done small spots by hand using Megs ScratchX on the deeper scratches followed by #9 with good results. I know from doing the small spots though it`s going to be a lot of work, probably 4 or 5 hours and my arm will be sore afterwards. It takes a lot of work to break down the smr by hand.

If you can`t get your hands on a buffer, you may want to follow Nick`s suggestion and split the car into areas.