PDA

View Full Version : My rotary findings

Preachers Sheets
03-28-2003, 08:31 PM
I was using the DeWalt and I noticed that if you mist the panel with water before you apply the polish to the pad it makes things alot easier (keeps the pad from gunking up and keeps the rotary from "jumping") and keeps the paint alot cooler.

The handle on the side of the DeWalt is useless, I just hold the handle and front section and it`s alot easier to manage.

If you keep the rotary "skimming" across the paint, like barely allow it to make contact with the paint, it is alot easier to avoid buffer burns and the infamous "jumping".

I have fun with the rotary today, learned alot, still not good enough on my wing and other sharp panel curves, there are angles where the rotary needs to curve alot and I can`t do that without having it jump, too sharp of an angle.

It`s a great machine, with the advice I got from people on this site plus a little hands on time, I`m just getting better and better.

BradE
03-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Joe,

I`m glad your finding your way with the rotary. I just tried Klasse AIO via rotary this week, I was amazed at the results. It totally removed all my swirls from winter washing. I applied it with a 3M waffle pad at 1000 RPM. If you have AIO give it a try with your rotary, I think you will be impressed. :bigups

Here is a pic of the results.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1704&papass=&sort=1

Preachers Sheets
03-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Thats odd how you bring that up.

Jngrbrdman and I were talking about a rotary and Klasse AIO and we sort of had the same conslusion that it would probaly not be more effective with a rotary than it would by hand but I guess you have proved that :p

The next time I use the rotary I am going straight for the All In One.

I have 5 waffle pads now and a pad spur. Before when I used the rotary I need one pad for the hood alone. Now as I am using the PC and DeWalt I only need one pad.... at least I have spares.

What an awesome tool, so effective with so little effort.

Kyle K.
03-28-2003, 09:43 PM
How much AIO do you use applying it by this method? It seems like you`d have to use a lot more product than you would by hand. :confused:

Preachers Sheets
03-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Yes, you are right. The rotary polishers do use more product than you would by hand no matter what you use (polish, glaze, wax, sealent etc).

It`s a trade off for the results you get, I feel it is well worth it.

G Money
03-29-2003, 11:10 AM
I`ll try the water mist out.

Yeah, rotaries are a nice tool to have. With some experimentation and confidence I find myself actually wanting to use my DeWalt more often.

Good tips. I concur.

Anthony O.
03-29-2003, 11:13 AM
A rotary will use more product usually when the surface is in bad shape and in need of cleaning/compunding. This is due to the constant checking of your results and then re-applications to whole or isolated spots or areas.

Less product is used in the final polishing and finishing steps.

Anthony