PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water Stains

Pages : [1] 2

martinrou
03-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi new to Autopia, what a wonderful site and packed full of great info. But unfortunately I can`t seem to figure out the best thing to get rid of very hard water stains on my Volvo S60. I have tried some cleaners, but nothing seems to work. Any sugestions would really be appreciated.

imported_Tony
03-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Sometimes the water spots are through the clear and therefore they can not be repaired. Lets hope that is not the case. Please review this thread about 3M finish restorer:http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14757&highlight=finish+restorer

imported_jgv
03-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by martinrou

Hi new to Autopia, what a wonderful site and packed full of great info. But unfortunately I can`t seem to figure out the best thing to get rid of very hard water stains on my Volvo S60. I have tried some cleaners, but nothing seems to work. Any sugestions would really be appreciated.

Have you tried anything so far?

Nick T.
03-28-2003, 07:46 PM
:welcome Welcome to Autopia martinrou

It would help if you`d tell us what you have tried so far.

shaf
03-29-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Nick T.

:welcome Welcome to Autopia martinrou

It would help if you`d tell us what you have tried so far. What he said. :xyxthumbs

Welcome, and help us help you! :)

Michaelwdes
03-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

What he said. :xyxthumbs

Welcome, and help us help you! :)

welcome aboard! are they all over the car? In my case, i just had them on the windows....:wavey

hobie14T
03-29-2003, 11:05 AM
I get the same thing at my house with well water. Klasse AIO works to remove the spots. I also put AIO on the side and rear windows to get the water spots off.

I have Duragloss 505 and 755, but I have never used them. I am going to try them on a windshield to see if they work well.

martinrou
03-31-2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have used Magnusson`s swirl and minor scratch remover and that did nothing, also tried Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover, and of course elbow grease, but so far nothing has gotten rid of them. I think I remember hearing that mixing vinegar and water, but a bit nervous of doing that. Any ideas how to keep the brake dust from building up in your rims, so quick. Have a great week

Nick T.
03-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Water spotting can be difficult to deal with - it depends on the minerals in the water. If the deposits are non-acidic try alcohol first, then clay, then progressively more aggressive polishes. If the spots are acidic they will have eaten into (or maybe through) the clear-coat and may be impossible to remove. I suggest that you work in one small test area, not on the entire car, until you find what you’re dealing with and what will work.

Good luck!

<CENTER>:usa</CENTER>

Accumulator
03-31-2003, 11:40 AM
martinrou- Welcome! I`d always try Nick T.`s ideas. On the other hand, I wouldn`t be TOO nervous about trying the vinegar and water mix. The "B" portion of AutoInt`s ABC system is acidic, and stronger than vinegar, and it didn`t hurt my cars at all. Maybe you oughta consider the ABC (A=base/alkaline detergent; B=mild acid; C= regular car wash, ph 7.0).

About all you can do to reduce brake dust (other than not use the brakes so much :p ) is change pads. Those "brake dust shield" things that go behind your wheels will cause heat-related (and other) problems. Ceramic pads work for some people, but others get warped rotors, compromised braking performance when cold/wet... so :nixweiss . Like your waterspots, there`s no one, easy answer to this.

martinrou
03-31-2003, 11:54 AM
Nick T

If I use the alcohol, what is the base way to apply it and what sort should I use. I am a newby at this.

Thanks

Nick T.
03-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Buy rubbing alcohol and cotton balls from your drugstore or grocery store. Mix 50/50 with water and rub on a test area. If that doesn’t work try straight alcohol. It’s perfectly safe on your paint.

> “Any ideas how to keep the brake dust from building up in your rims, so quick.â€

Get your wheels clean and then apply a couple of layers of Klasse or Zaino. Unlike carnauba they withstand the high wheel temperatures, and brake dust wipes off fairly easily.

<CENTER>:usa</CENTER>

hobie14T
03-31-2003, 12:02 PM
I tried vinegar, and I tried clay. Neither one of those worked at all on windows or paint. I thought that all of the spots were permanent. I tried the ABC system, and it worked, but alot of spots were there still. Then I tried Klasse AIO, and with lots of rubbing, it removed the spots. If you have some AIO, try just rubbing it aggressively on a small area with a foam pad to see the results. It worked for me, and I thought that nothing would. Good Luck.

martinrou
03-31-2003, 12:13 PM
07391, Thanks for the info, What is AIO

Nick T, thanks for the info, Klasse would that be just their straight wax, or a special product.

Thanks for all the info.

hobie14T
03-31-2003, 12:28 PM
AIO is Klasse All-In-One. After applying a layer of Klasse AIO, you can layer Klasse SG over it for more protection, and better shine.

http://www.autopia.org/classifieds.php?op=detail&cat=43&de=90