PDA

View Full Version : Black 99 GSR (3dr)

imported_Infamous
03-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading so much about detailing, searching Autopia and other misc. things. Everyone has so many oppinions and it boggles my mind. I don`t know what some of the abbreviations mean either. My plans are to get my car looking MINT and have no idea what products I should use. I want to get rid of light scratches, swirls and oxidation. I want to go ALL OUT on this btw.

I`m willing to spend $250 which is including a buffer. I need to buy everything including a washmitt, soap, microfiber towels and other misc things. Also on which products to use first. I was thinking....

1. Wash (2x)

2. Clay

3 Wash again

4 Swirl remover

5 AIO Klasse

6. Klasse sealent

Thanks in advance.

2wheelsx2
03-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Looks like a good regiment to start. Make sure you search for and read Jimwh`s instructions for using Klasse.

One question I have is why are you washing twice? I would think that if you wash once, it should all clean. What`s the point of 2 washes. Just take your time and wash it properly with a 2 bucket system, and you should be ok.

As for all the abbreviations, look to the left of the home page and you`ll see a link to the acronyms and that should get most of your questions about the abbreviations.

BTW, :welcome :ca

gnahc79
03-28-2003, 06:36 PM
chances are the first time you do a full detail you`ll do something incorrectly or not as good as you want. A good idea is to detail a victim-I mean friend`s car :) first and maybe another one.

I did my car first, it was good, but I`m itching to re-clay-polish-everything my car after doing 3 cars (old Altima, 330i, SLK230). I got some VM in the mail somewhere....come on slow poke UPS! :D

stevefromatl
03-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Welcome! It looks like you`re off to a good start. It took me a while before I realized there was a link that translated the abbreviations (http://www.autopia.org/acronyms.php)

shaf
03-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Welcome to Autopia! :welcome

Your plan looks good (except for the inexplicable double wash :D). Keep in mind that if you have widespread deeper swirls or things that are classified as scratches, they will probably require more attention to them than a swirl remover session alone can provide.

Heff
03-29-2003, 04:02 PM
welcome to the obsessive world of detailing! I`m kind of new myself, but heres my two cents; first of all just start out with the basics, learn how to wash and wax correctly and which products to use. I would stay away from any cutting products or harsh abrasives for now. The product reviews are pretty useful in this website. Just read alot, and ask questions. The product list you have sounds pretty solid and in the correct order except the wash 2x, one correct wash will do. I have a black car also so here is my regimen so far, wash (platinum auto shampoo), pre clean (platinum paint cleaner), polymer sealant(platinum ultimate paint protection) . I use platinum gloss enhancer after washes in between applications of the sealant. I also bought a Ryobi orbital buffer from home depot for $30 and it has payed for itself many times already as I do other peoples cars also, but I am thinking of gettting the Porter cable. As you can see pretty simple, especially for a 8 year old black michigan car, but you would be surprised how well it looks. Good luck !

Heff

Jademonkey
03-29-2003, 04:40 PM
He is doing the double wash because of the clay step. Ive seen a few people do that. I guess it is to make sure that all of the residue from the clay is gone.

imported_Infamous
03-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Ok, but now I`m trying to figure out what to get exactly. I dont want to regret getting a certain product/item. This is what I have so far...

Porter Cable Ultimate Detailing Machine

149.95 149.95

Klasse Concours Kit

39.95 39.95

Microfiber Wash Mitt

15.95 15.95

P21S Paste Car Wax

24.95 24.95

Big Blue Drying Towel

24.95 24.95

Which in total is $255.75

Then there is the swirl remover or maybe even get a glaze product. The pads for the buffer also. :(

shaf
03-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Jademonkey

He is doing the double wash because of the clay step. Ive seen a few people do that. I guess it is to make sure that all of the residue from the clay is gone. Read Step 1 again... ;)

Infamous, for swirl removal you might want to buy one each of Meguiar`s DACP (#83) and Swirl Free (#82) or #9 swirl remover. That should equip you to deal with minor and more serious defects and (I`m guessing, but I don`t see why not) you could probably use the DACP for working on scratches by hand.

Since you`re planning on using Klasse, don`t bother buying a glaze. It sounds like you`re ordering from CMA, so for pads you might want to just get one of the kits they suggest.

Jademonkey
03-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Read Step 1 again... ;)

O, ok well i dont kno then

:)

imported_Infamous
03-29-2003, 05:55 PM
When I put 2x I meant wash/clay/wash not wash/wash/clay/wash its my mess up. I was thinking about washing it 2x but not like that and forgot about the 2x I put on step 1 and plus its to much soap to go to waste. :)

These are my new steps

1.wash (dawn)

2.clay (not sure which brand but I think I`m geting mothers)

3.DACP Meguiars

4.Merguiars swirl remover 2.0

5.AIO Klasse (2 coats)

6. Klasse S/G (2 coats)

Hopefully my black car will look 95% flawless. :)

I have never used a PC or any other kind of buffer on a car before. I usually wax by hand, but this winter has been real harsh in Rhode Island and I need to do a GOOD detail job and then I will garage my car for the winter next time it comes around.

johnson
03-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Walmart now carries Clay Magic clay bars. It comes with a 100mg bar and 12oz spray for $9.47 plus tax.