PDA

View Full Version : Stains on white paint possible from tire wet?

prix03gt
03-28-2003, 11:46 AM
i just recently detailed my 2003 grand prix and i noticed a few spots on the rear bumper that just would not come off. I tired everything from hand polishing to claying and nothing worked. As if this wasnt bad enough, i find more of the same the next day after i had dressed the tires. i use eagle one tire wet and im pretty sure this is what caused the problem, a little of the excess must have come off while i was driving. my question is has anyone else had this problem and how can i fix it. there are several greenish colored spots on the paint and i want to get them off hopefully without repainting

imported_Tony
03-28-2003, 12:40 PM
It is hard to tell what your problem is but since you have tried to polish and that did not work. Try a solvent. Something mild like WD40 then if necessary move up to alcohol/water then to mineral spirits then maybe prepsol.

good luck

imported_BretFraz
03-28-2003, 01:11 PM
If you dig thru the detailing archives here you will find discussions we used to have about silicones and how they affect paint. The staining you see is likely from silicone oils used in the tire shine. It has permeated the clear coat. You need to get it out, which may not be easy.

I`d try rubbing alcohol poured onto the paint. You will probably have to do this several times and there`s no assurance it will work. But the alcohol should remove moisture from the spots and force the silicone to the surface where it can be removed by more alcohol.

Using a polish is like physically grinding out the silicones which is mostly futile IMO.

To learn more, use the SEARCH function looking for topics about silicone and stains.

prix03gt
03-29-2003, 11:13 AM
the rubbing alcohol didnt help much, and i also tried some bug and tar remover which didnt do anything either. is my only hope to repaint? the car is only 3 months old!!