PDA

View Full Version : Just got my car painted

motoman
03-28-2003, 09:00 AM
I am finally getting my car back from a paint job today (been five wks almost), anyways I`m wondering how long should I wait before I put a wax on? Also should I polish, then wax, or what? I`m also looking for recommended products? I realise that is personal choice but I`m not sure where to start? Any info would be helpful.

Motoman :confused:

Detailing NY
03-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by motoman

I am finally getting my car back from a paint job today (been five wks almost), anyways I`m wondering how long should I wait before I put a wax on? Also should I polish, then wax, or what? I`m also looking for recommended products? I realise that is personal choice but I`m not sure where to start? Any info would be helpful.

I would not wax the car for atleast 3 months. But You can use body shop safe prodcuts on the car. If the shop used a spray booth then the paint will cure faster and the shop most likely has already buffed the car. You will want to use body shop safe products for at least 2-3 months.

Car Polishes Inc is what i use. They tend to be the best for fresh painted vehicles. They leave a long lasting shine and work great.

I also use Vanilla Moose which is another great product that is safe for freshly painted cars.

hope this helps

NYD

motoman
03-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Hey thanks for the info. My car was painted by a friend. He is a firefighter and has been painting for approx. 14yrs on the side. He has his own shop and stuff but it is not hi tech like the body shops. In other words, no baking was done. This obviously changes the cure time. So should I avoid polished for a while too?

Detailing NY
03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
No you can polish the car, but just make sure it is a body shop safe product. I sent you a PM.

How did the paint job come out?

Is there any overspray? If so you can clay the car to have it removed.

IF he has been painting for 14 years then I am sure he knows what he is doing and it looks great. Just keep washing it everyweek to keep it clean. Fresh paint can damage very easly.

motoman
03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
I saw the car on Monday night and it looked good. I`m not sure about the overspray yet. What should I look for? I`ve heard overspray looks cloudy? He had to repaint a door after we changed the lock barrel. We forgot to do that before and the door got scratched and chipped a bit so he repainted it. Thanks.

Motoman