PDA

View Full Version : How many cars should I expect from the start?

Nitrous115
03-27-2003, 10:32 PM
If I am going to start a business and advertise pretty heavily can I expect to get 10 cars a week or is that very hard to do?

imported_Intel486
03-27-2003, 10:48 PM
If you get enough flyers out, then you can expect that many people. Takes awhile to build a customer base though.

I`d say estimate that you get a .5% or a 1% return on your flyers. Want 10 customers, then hand out 1000 - 2000 flyers :eek:

Just remember once you start to get these new customers, then you`ll have developed a base of customers so when you need work start calling around to get repeat business. It works. I`ll probably be doing just that very thing tomorrow morning to try to get someone for this Sat. afternoon.

imported_Smoker
03-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Word of mouth is a great way as it tends to just blossom.

The more folks see your work, the more want the same done.

You do have to chase it tho, and repeat business is lso a good thing to have.

I had one guy today wanted his 4-runner doing after seeing the result of his buddies wifes car i did last week.

imported_poweraid
03-28-2003, 05:11 AM
I`m not in the business, nor do I expect to be, but as I was driving around town yesterday I was pondering this idea for someone starting a detailing business;

What would you think of having your vehicle tastefully and professionally signed, with an add for your detailing business? Of course, this vehicle could only be driven when it was in the condition you wanted to show off as an example of your work.

I bet it would work, and if it`s a pick up truck, or used at all in the business, you could write off the vehicle (or part thereof) as a business expense.

imported_ajbarnes
04-01-2003, 05:03 PM
I`ve put out about 400 flyers so far, and I received 4 customers. It is the law of averages...the more you hit - the more you get! Just keep on putting out flyers and try your hands at tri-fold brochures also..very professional!

Chan Bates
04-02-2003, 11:05 AM
No business survives without sales and cash flow. Your skills as a detailer can only be useful after your efforts as a marketer/sales person. Focus on getting business first, then detailing. Eventually, referrals may obviate the need for prospecting.

Be mobile. Doing the work where it is visible to others is a great advertisement. Don`t hide in a shop if you don`t have to.

Referrals are a good way to go in addition to flyers. Ask to put a small printed sign with your contact info in one of the windows--just for one day--of the cars you do .

Give customers a few business cards of yours to hand to your friends.

Offer a $5 discount for a repeat customer for every other customer he/she brings to you.

Contract with a high end used car lot.

Contract with a car auction for their high end vehicles?

Go into upscale retirement communities to advertise. Any close knit group that wants to and can pay for such services becomes a gold mine of referrals--do the work at their facilities for visibility. Distribute flyers in a commercial building or large business (with permission--do the boss`s car).

Find a locally based trucker and do his tractor. He will recommend you to others.

Etc.

CB3, who has done a service business this way before.