PDA

View Full Version : Removing excess wax from crevices

santron
03-27-2003, 11:22 AM
...or how to not get wax in there in the first place???

What are your techniques? I just got a new (used) black car with good paint but badly in need of buffing. Every time I do my other cars I spend weeks getting the wax out of the nooks and crannies. I have a set of brushes and the detailers crevice tool but there has got to be a better way. I`ve also tried masking, but that took more time than I felt it was worth. Wax on rubber and porous plastic surfaces is the worst to remove!

What are your techniques to remove excess wax from unwanted places? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mike.........

imported_dl9589
03-27-2003, 11:32 AM
I typically use just detailing brushes. And Q-Tips....only takes a couple of extra minutes.

Accumulator
03-27-2003, 12:00 PM
santron- Welcome to Autopia. Like Aurorav8 said, (VERY VERY) soft brushes and q-tips. I`ll pull the cotton wadding off a q-tip and use it with a sharpened toothpick. Using a QD can help too.

You might want to consider a wax that doesn`t cause the rubber/trim problem. I INTENTIONALLY put wax on many such surfaces (instead of an ERV dressing) and it works well for me. (I know, that`s weird, but I intend it here as an example.) P21S, Souveran, 3M Show Car Paste, Meg #16, and Collinite all work fine for me trim-wise if I DON`T let them fully dry before buffing off. Using the LEAST wax necessary to ensure complete coverage will also help.

stevefromatl
03-27-2003, 12:44 PM
I try to completely avoid emblems and things like that. As far as the cracks go I just have to open my doors, hood, trunk, etc to make sure I get it off the inside. If I get any on plastic pieces or rubber I found that tire shine or something like that takes the wax off easily.

Tim Lingor
03-27-2003, 08:25 PM
I am sure that someone will nail me for this, but I use a pressure washer!! Just do not go too close (otherwise, you could peel paint). After I use the rotary, sling is everywhere!!! So I pull out the pressure washer, and spray the residue off the vehicle`s nooks and crannies! It works very well for me!!