PDA

View Full Version : Etches on Zaino, SMR Repair

LKimura
03-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Within the last 2 months I clayed and Z`d our `99 Corvette. Last week it was bombed by a bird. The droppings left some etching. I carefully removed the debris and tried car wash with little affect and then some Z5. Nothing. I purchased some 3M SMR and was researching Autopia for the best way to apply this AND the process to restore Zaino.

1) How should I attack this small area with SMR?

2) What`s the best way to re-apply Zaino on an SMR repaired spot? I understand that SMR is a filler and that I should remove it before re-applying Zaino. For spot work after the SMR should I Dawn wash the small area and start the Z2 - Z5 (w/FX)?

This site is great. Thanks for your help

ultrajim49
03-27-2003, 09:52 AM
1) How should I attack this small area with SMR?

just put a little SMR on an applicator and go back and forth over the edged spot (or up and down if it`s a side panel) `till SMR starts to dissapear.

with a clean Microfibre remove residue and check area : if not happy:repeat

2) What`s the best way to re-apply Zaino on an SMR repaired spot? I understand that SMR is a filler and that I should remove it before re-applying Zaino. For spot work after the SMR should I Dawn wash the small area and start the Z2 - Z5 (w/FX)?

On such a small spot you can remove the oily residu with some rubbing alcohol (50% mixed with water)

a little QD(Z7)

and you`re ready to re-apply Z

Happy detailing

Christiaan

:wavey

Nick T.
03-27-2003, 12:37 PM
This is what I do for spot repairs on my multi-layered Zaino:

I use either a cotton ball or a 4â€x4†piece of microfiber towel for the applicator and a small dab of SMR. Light pressure and check results - add pressure to moderate if needed. Then repeat with GEPC or similar product. When satisfied, then top with IHG, same type applicator. Then wipe lightly with Z-7 solution followed by Z-6 to get rid of residual oils. Finish with Z-1 and Z-5 for two or three layers if there is only one or two spots - - otherwise mix ZFX & Z-5 on a one drop per 1/4 ounce ratio. I’ve done this many, many times - always with good results.

<CENTER>:usa</CENTER>

LKimura
03-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks Christiaan and Nick for your help.

I`m not a detailer. I love cars and like it when they look great. I enjoy browsing this site and learning from you all.

Nick, I used to have a `69 2002. Great car. 287K miles on it and it still ran great. I see that you use Z which I use on the Corvette. I may ask you questions in the future as your posts have been very informative.

thanks again

Lenn

Lurkster
03-31-2003, 07:23 AM
Hey Nick T. --- so you have had good results with layering Zaino over the IHG? Were there any noticeable differences in regard to shine/protection/endurance in the IHG area? If that works, I am excited! :up

tj98cobra
03-31-2003, 07:44 AM
Nick T,

Good Tip on the SMR. I have a few minor spots I need to do that on. :up:

Nick T.
03-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Lurkster

Hey Nick T. --- so you have had good results with layering Zaino over the IHG? Were there any noticeable differences in regard to shine/protection/endurance in the IHG area? If that works, I am excited! :up Yes, good results with no difference in shine. No idea as to protection/endurance since I add Zaino frequently to the entire car.

<CENTER>:usa</CENTER>

tkr128
03-31-2003, 01:42 PM
I agree with everything everyone has said above.

BTW, you wouldn`t happen to have a relative that teaches Calculus, would you?