PDA

View Full Version : Rim protection

imported_buffer
03-25-2003, 12:43 PM
I have recently taken the plunge and invested in some aftermarket rims for my car. Now that I have them I would like to protect them as best I can from the eliments. I have searched the Detailing forum with little success. Does anyone have any ideas on what should be bought to seal the rim and give it the most protection possible? One option that I have looked at it this (http://properautocare.com/lussealmetse.html). Any thoughts?

I also have been contimplating this (http://www.por-15.com/clearcoat.html). The product is called Glisten PC. I don`t know what route I will be taking as of yet but your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

:xyxthumbs

LOTA OT
03-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Without knowing what kind of wheels you have purchased (steel, aluminum, cast, forged, polished, painted and clearcoated, etc.), it`s a little hard to recommend the perfect solution for protection.

I`ll take a guess that they are alluminum and probably clearcoated. I am not familiar with the first product you mentioned, but it looks like a regular sealant which is exactly what I would recomment. Again, I`m not familiar with nor recommending that specific brand, but would suggest Klasse, or Einszett or the like. Do yourself a favor and seal both sides the wheels prior to install. They should clean up very easilly with just regular car wash and an old wash mitt.

If you don`t have clearcoated wheels, I`ll let someone else chime in with a better recommendation.

As for the second product, that looks like a permanent clear coat like application. I`d shy away from that as you never know how it will react with your wheels or the elements you`ll encounter on the road. If you don`t like the look, or it fails and peals or discolors, you`ll have to strip and refinish.

Michael

imported_buffer
03-25-2003, 01:57 PM
I guess I will have to get that information from the company and post it here. Do you know it there is a way to tell what kind they are by appearance?

LOTA OT
03-25-2003, 02:37 PM
If you give us the make and model, I`m sure we could figure it out. If they are for a passenger car, I`d bet they are clearcoated. Though they could just be polished. Let us know.

Michael

imported_buffer
03-25-2003, 03:13 PM
You can see the wheel here www.rotawheels.com. The ones that I have are the Subzero`s. Thinking about it now... I believe that they are a Aluminum, cast, painted, have a polished lip and I would assume clearcoated.

I have written the company and await there response.

LOTA OT
03-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Nice wheels!!

They are aluminun and seem to come in several colors (silver, white, black, bronze and gunmetal) which means they are painted and most likely clearcoated. The sealant will work best and will last a month or two with no problems. Makes the wheels easy to clean and will protect them from brake dust.

If they get some swirls or minor scratches, treat them like you would any painted surface. Wash, clay, polish and re-seal.

Michael