PDA

View Full Version : new mercedes -benz mess

peggym
03-23-2003, 05:52 PM
:( I just purchased a new 2003 black 500 SL MB (040 black color code) 75 miles. It looks like the dealer took off snow and ice with a broom when the car was delivered. As a result I have surface scratches, scuff marks, and swirls all over the car. It looks terrible, it`s embarrassing !! I need Help!! I have a Porter Cable 7424 w/velcro attachment. I want to remove the paint defects with no abrassion and/or removable of the new black clear coat ( no white haze on surface) Can someone please help me with advise on 3M or Maguire products, type of pads, and a process to get this black paint back to new like it should be/with no scratches or swirls. I am looking for that see through clarity, rich deep glossy wet look for this black paint ( like it should be) Please Help !!!

thevolvoguy
03-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by peggym

:( I just purchased a new 2003 black 500 SL MB

You mean SL 500... :p

Anyway, I would not accept the car. When you buy a new car, especially a Mercedes, that is just unacceptable. Take it back to the dealer and tell them what you found. If they do nothing, then take it to MB USA.

Dealerships should not be able to wash cars. I am about tired of the swirls and scratches they put in my, and other peoples cars.

Good Luck. :)

imported_jgv
03-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Absolutely!

That`s not a second hand, cheap car!

You bought a SL500! Go for them w/ all that you have!

When they deliver you a perfectly finished car, then you may come back and learn how to REALLY take good care of it.

square
03-23-2003, 07:40 PM
This happens all the time, and is a pet peave of mine, my 2001 E430 was the same way. Get them to fix it!

When you take it back and complain, they will smile, and fix it for you, but not the way you want. "New vehicle prep" is the usual name for the guys who will work your car. When you get it back, it will look fine, but I assure you they will use a glaze.

So, after the second or third wash, you will start to see the mess again. And it will become worse as the oils and fillers wash away. That is what happened to me at Mercedes.

So when you take your car back, insist you go meet the guys who will work on your car, or find name of the manager in new vehicle prep. Go talk to them, let them know that glaze is not an option because it is a short term fix.

I am familiar with parking lots full of Mercedes in Northern Virginia and Coral Gables. The cars sitting in storage areas are absolutely loaded with swirls and scratches. Take a look sometime. Their solution is Mequires glaze (I assume the same stuff Mercedes repackages and sells in the parts shop) before a cars make a trip to the showroom or a customer.

I am sure this happens with other brands, not just Mercedes. I bet new car dealers are the largest volume users of glaze!

I really would go back to the dealer, make sure they know you will not accept a glaze job, and work with them on what they will do. The guys in new car prep and in the body shops are fully capable of using a rotary on the finish and producing a very nice result. You can do this yourself, but I do not think you should. As someone else said, get a perfect car, then learn from here about keeping it nice.

Lou:argue

square
03-23-2003, 07:42 PM
This happens all the time, and is a pet peave of mine, my 2001 E430 was the same way. Get them to fix it!

When you take it back and complain, they will smile, and fix it for you, but not the way you want. "New vehicle prep" is the usual name for the guys who will work your car. When you get it back, it will look fine, but I assure you they will use a glaze.

So, after the second or third wash, you will start to see the mess again. And it will become worse as the oils and fillers wash away. That is what happened to me at Mercedes.

So when you take your car back, insist you go meet the guys who will work on your car, or find name of the manager in new vehicle prep. Go talk to them, let them know that glaze is not an option because it is a short term fix.

I am familiar with parking lots full of Mercedes in Northern Virginia and Coral Gables. The cars sitting in storage areas are absolutely loaded with swirls and scratches. Take a look sometime. Their solution is Mequires glaze (I assume the same stuff Mercedes repackages and sells in the parts shop) before cars make a trip to the showroom or a customer.

I am sure this happens with other brands, not just Mercedes. I bet new car dealers are the largest volume users of glaze!

I really would go back to the dealer, make sure they know you will not accept a glaze job, and work with them on what they will do. The guys in new car prep and in the body shops are fully capable of using a rotary on the finish and producing a very nice result. You can do this yourself, but I do not think you should. As someone else said, get a perfect car, then learn from here about keeping it nice.

Lou:argue

imported_agh603
03-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Lou

u shouldn`t have them fix it, tell them to order u a new one, and give u a loaner till that comes......... cuz its a brand new car, it hsouldan`t have a repainted hood.... thats unacceptable

mbz loves to keep their customers happy

Preachers Sheets
03-24-2003, 12:20 AM
To be honest with you; you have the car so don`t deal with the dealer.

They don`t care if the paint looks good, they want to sell cars, not detail them. Like the other people said, they are probaly going to detail your car, induce more swirls and just slap on some Meguiars glaze, nothing you can`t do yourself.

Your best bet is to get yourself some yellow pads for your Porter Cable and Meguiars Swirl Remover.

Use the yellow pad and the Meguairs product, that should be strong enough to remove your swirls yet leave you with a perfect finsih ready for sealing without having to worrying about the smaller left over swirls from too harsh of a product.

Delaerships sell cars, they don`t detail, those people are useless.

cackleberry
03-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Since this dealership`s people obviously don`t know/care what they`re doing to your finish, I would not bring it back to them. My advice would be to bring it to your local reputable detail shop and have them work on it. Bring the bill to the dealer and have them reimburse you.

The prep guys at dealerships will usually only do enough to make the car passable. Most people don`t care for their finish like we do, and the dealers know that all too well. If more people knew what to look for on their cars and complained, eventually more qualified people will be in charge of prepping new cars. (I have also known a few guys that were very good at their jobs, not "useless", so let`s try not to stereotype. :D ) Hope you get it straightened out!!

Nocholis Rimnson
03-24-2003, 04:40 PM
On My Last Two Mercedes I Told The Dealer NOT to prep the car as I Will Detail It Myself!..They give you a strange look ...

As I Can Do a Much Better Job than the dealer new Car prep guys!...Then You Know How it was done! The Correct way...

Because BLACK Shows it all!

The Dealers Cant Wash Cars Either!

Once they hit My front bumper...And Tried to get away with it:nono

And The Last Time I Went to Same Dealer they washed My Car ...With a Note on the Speedo..Please Do NOT Wash My car..Thank You..Well They washed it with the Bra on it and it Turned the Hood from black to a Milk White...I Guess They DONT Understand English!..Needless to say I Use another Mercedes Dealer further from home But They Dont wash My Cars!