PDA

View Full Version : cleaning an old negleced vinyl top

imported_poweraid
03-23-2003, 05:00 PM
I bought a 97 Miata with a beige vinyl top. It was heavily stained with a dark grey grimey dirt. After reading archives from here and Miata.net I decided to use the 303 vinyl convertible cleaner.

I spent several hours with it, cleaning small areas with a tooth brush. Eventually I got a result that I would grade as a 90%. It is much better, when I look at it it looks like a beige top. When I look critically, I can still see ground in grey grime.

I continued to work the stuff, but reached a point where I was getting no results.

should I accept what I have, or does someone have suggestions for other products. I wouldn`t mind spending more time for more results.

imported_BretFraz
03-23-2003, 05:25 PM
Where is Nick T when you need him???? ;)

I`ve heard that Ragg Topp cleaner is very good as is the cleaner sold by Porsche Tequipment and Renovo. You can see them all here:

http://www.properautocare.com/besprodforfa.html

Bear in mind you have a 7 yr old rag top that`s been neglected. There are no miracle products so if the top is too far gone the only option is to replace it.

imported_edschwab1
03-23-2003, 05:25 PM
If you scrub the top this probably ground some dirt and grime into the top and you maybe stuck with 90%. I use Amazing Roll off to clean convertiable tops with success. Amazing roll is available at boating stores and from CMA. Also, do a search as there is couple of recent threads on convertiable tops.

Buy DavidB book, which has chapter on top cleaning.

Good luck with the top.

Eric