PDA

View Full Version : Is claying foolproof - Jet Black BMW

jsoto
03-23-2003, 10:41 AM
I`ll be detailing my new Jet Black X5 when I pick it up from the dealer next week. The dealer has explicit instructions to not detail the car at all....

Is claying foolproof, taking into consideration it also depends on who/how it`s done.

While I have detailed car in the past, AUTOPIA forums users here take it to a whole other level.

I was planning to do the following

- wash

- clay

- wash

- klasse sg

3 more klasse sg during cure time and that then a nice coat of S100.

Accumulator
03-23-2003, 11:19 AM
jsoto- While I have never had a clay-related problem, some people have. In fact, I seem to recall someone with a black BMW who got marring using Pinnacle`s Poly Clay, so you might want to use a different brand.

schoi
03-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, just make sure that you use plenty of whatever lubrication it is that you`re using. Also, you`ll wanna make sure that you keep using a clean side of the clay; that is, don`t risk rubbing the grit in/on the clay into the paint. It`s not hard at all.

Being a new car and all, you don`t really need to use AIO (obviously, since you left it out on your list). Personally, I would. AIO`s a great and very easy product... why not, right? :p

Enjoy your new toy!

WRXedUSA
03-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Is it OK to polish after clay?

procareman50
03-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Of course...Klasse AIO is a cleaner/polish that is used to make the paint pristine (like Vanilla Moose or SEPC or any other cleaner or polish).....remember, you want to have the paint completely prepped and SHINY before you seal it.......:xyxthumbs

Anthony O.
03-23-2003, 05:39 PM
jsoto,

There is no need to wash-clay- and then wash again. Instead after washing and rinsing go ahead and clay. Rinse it down as you go and dry it.

You can then use a paint cleaner or just go to a polish and seal stage.

Anthony

thevolvoguy
03-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Anthony is right, just go ahead and clay the car while its wet after you have washed and rinsed. That way, there is more lubrication and its not as time consuming.

Claying is pretty fool-proof I guess. Just fold/flip the clay often to be sure it is always clean. With a black car this is very important as it is very easy to swirl/scratch.

After claying, and drying, I would go ahead with 1x AIO. The AIO adds a good base to the SG and is a pretty important step IMO. After a few hours, then you can apply the SG. Be sure and let it cure a few hours to ensure proper bonding and easy buffing.