PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is microfiber?

wbarnum
03-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Can anyone give me a good definition of microfiber?

wbarnum
03-23-2003, 10:49 AM
So is it better to use a microfiber towel than a chamois for buffing?

medic159
03-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ejant

This should answer your question (http://www.properautocare.com/micwhatbigde.html)

EXCEPT that it is incorrect. Microfiber is not strictly man made, microfiber is only a term that is used for ANY micro fine yarn, weather it be natural or man made. Typically microfiber is hundreds of times finer than a human hair.

Also the weave or knit is very important, there can be some very coarse and scratchy microfibers out there. You need to be careful.

shaf
03-23-2003, 05:58 PM
wbarnum, you should definitely not be using a chamois for buffing off QD, polish, wax, etc. As far as I know, the only thing chamois are good for is drying. Also, don`t needlessly try to "burnish" anything by buffing clean-looking, dry paint. Once you have a product removed to your satisfaction, stop.

I think DFTowel is right because I believe the only criteria for something to be called "microfiber" is just that the material is below a certain denier of (thickness), I think under 1 or something.

wbarnum
03-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by ejant

Be sure to use quality MF towels, there are some bad one oth there.

How does one know good microfiber from bad microfiber?

Anthony O.
03-23-2003, 10:19 PM
I believe microfiber technology was first sought to be used in the computer industry but did not meet the needs. It was then found to be an amazingly absorbent material as well as a cleaning material.

The most common microfiber is made up of either 20 or 30% Polyamide (Polyamide is a nylon by product) and 70 or 80% Polyester. Too much Polyamide and the fabric will scratch but too little and the fabric will not clean well nor last very long.

MF`s with a tight weave and low pile are best for cleaning metals, windows and glass.

MF`s with a count of 90k fpsi (fiber per square inch) and a high pile are best used for drying of wet surfaces and product wipe down and application.

MF`s with a 100k or better fpsi and a very high plush pile are best used for product removal. As in polish and wax residue. These towels also tend to leave a "microlint" when used wet so I do not recommend them for windows or glass UNLESS they are used dry for buffing dry windows.

I hope that helps.

Anthony