PDA

View Full Version : Will GEPC absolutley strip Zaino?

Hawkeye_TDI
03-21-2003, 05:21 PM
I recently applied a coat of GEPC with a polishing pad and PC to the hood and trunk of my car. I had three well cured coats of Zaino on prior to this. I like many others wanted to increase the depth so I tried the GEPC with a souveran topper. The warmth and depth increased temendously.

What I didn`t like was it left some streaks. In hindsite, I`m wondering if the steaks could be the results of the GEPC breaking down but not completely removing the Z. Is this possible?

Once before, during my intial coat of Zaino I had almost identical streaking. Thanks to this board I realized I had not let the Z dry thouroghly which caused the streaking. I applied another coat of Z2 a week latrer, gave it ample time to dry and wiped it off. This step removed the streaking assumably by breaking down the remaining Z. Once I wiped it off the streaks disappeared.

Could the GEPC break down but not completely remove the Z, causing it to loose it`s cross linking-bonding effect, and perhaps mix with the iols of GEPC and streak? If so, How would I rectify the problem?

Any help will be worshipped

Thanks

Bruce

:bow :bow :bow

Hawkeye_TDI
03-21-2003, 07:18 PM
c,mon guys, 16 looks and no feedback?

F1Crazy
03-21-2003, 08:00 PM
If it was a hand application I`d think that maybe you didn`t work it long enough or missed the spot but with the PC I`m sure Zaino is gone.

Are you sure that it wasn`t Souveran streaking?

shaf
03-21-2003, 08:54 PM
I`d say it`s possible it didn`t remove the Z entirely. I recall a discussion a long time ago about the cleaning properties of Klasse AIO. Since the stuff is so thin, we were wondering what would happen if you had a ton of carnauba wax or product X on the surface. Would a tiny bit of AIO strip off lots of another product? I would personally guess "no" since it doesn`t make any sense to me.

I mean, if you smear a coin-sized drop of Vim over a whole grease-encrusted stove from say, a Denny`s restauarant, would it clean all of that grease off leaving the metal perfectly oil-free? Probably not.

Just more of my arm-waving guesses. :rolleyes:

raymond_ho2002
03-21-2003, 09:14 PM
I wonder how much more you`re really adding on when you layer.. There`s probably a diminishing returns effect happening with any product you put on, where the next layer will only be so much thicker than the previous one. It sure seems like a lot when you layer away because of how much product you`re using, but most of it is coming off on your cloth when you wipe off.

Let`s arbitrarily say that when you wax on, you`re putting down wax 100 microns thick. When you wipe off, you`re probably only leaving about 5 microns on the paint, with 95 of it coming off onto your cloth, relatively speaking. And each additional layer you put on will leave another 4, 3, 2 microns.. But when you put down 100 microns of aio to wipe off, that stuff still easily outweighs the wax thats on the surface.

My units are probably totally off but you get what i`m saying..

Originally posted by 4DSC

I`d say it`s possible it didn`t remove the Z entirely. I recall a discussion a long time ago about the cleaning properties of Klasse AIO. Since the stuff is so thin, we were wondering what would happen if you had a ton of carnauba wax or product X on the surface. Would a tiny bit of AIO strip off lots of another product? I would personally guess "no" since it doesn`t make any sense to me.

I mean, if you smear a coin-sized drop of Vim over a whole grease-encrusted stove from say, a Denny`s restauarant, would it clean all of that grease off leaving the metal perfectly oil-free? Probably not.

Just more of my arm-waving guesses. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye_TDI
03-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by F1Crazy

If it was a hand application I`d think that maybe you didn`t work it long enough or missed the spot but with the PC I`m sure Zaino is gone.

Are you sure that it wasn`t Souveran streaking?

It may in fact be the souveran streaking. I tried everything to get rid of the streaks. QD with Z6 Meguires QD, even a slight mist of 50/50 alcohol/water. It still streaked.

Any suggestions?:bounce

Nick T.
03-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Here’s my guess Bruce - - since GEPC is slightly abrasive it would eventually take off any number of Zaino layers, however I don’t think that it’s solvents will do anything to the Zaino. Since you used a buffer I would guess that you removed most of the Zaino.

My guess is based on having frequently done spot repairs on my multi-layered Zaino with SMR, GEPC, and IHG. The only times that I’ve been bothered with streaking is when I haven’t let the Zaino cure completely or haven’t completely removed IHG’s oils.

If you have access to a non-clear coated car an easy test would be to put on a few layers of Zaino, and then see how much rubbing it takes with GEPC to start getting some color.