PDA

View Full Version : 1 day detail (need advice)

Pages : [1] 2

imported_carnut00
03-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Ok, I use Zaino on my car.. and have a few million layers on there ;) I use a porter cable random orbit buffer.

The cars I will be detailing are dark, and have swirl marks and typical commercial-car-wash abuse signs.

I plan on purchasing,

Menzerna Polish (initial step, because its stronger than 3M SMR)

P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (to act as a filler and some mo shine)

and finally a wax, thinking of using Blitz.

Does this formula sound ok for a 1 day detail? Im thinking of purchasing the new Orange pad to use instead of the yellow but I dont know if its more abrasive or weaker. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Accumulator
03-21-2003, 03:11 PM
steez- There are some recent posts on the orange pads, but I can`t remember what they concluded. I`d use something other than Blitz, if only to sidestep the trim-staining issue. Getting some Blitz on someone`s black trim might REALLY change your plans for the day. You could always mask it off, or be VERY careful, but I`d just pick a different wax.

Lowejackson
03-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Put some pastic polish on first, dont buff off, and then do the paintwork. This way the trim is protected and all you do is buff both paint and trim at the end, but not with the same MF towel

Steven

imported_jgv
03-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Put some pastic polish on first, dont buff off, and then do the paintwork. This way the trim is protected and all you do is buff both paint and trim at the end, but not with the same MF towel

Steven

What plastic polish do you use?

imported_carnut00
03-21-2003, 04:18 PM
are there any other recommended waxes? Blitz was quick and easy.. shined great..nice price.. thats what im looking for.

Lowejackson
03-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by jgv

What plastic polish do you use?

I use Autoglym, but you could use any decent product, 303 etc

Steven

Nagchampa
03-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by steez

are there any other recommended waxes? Blitz was quick and easy.. shined great..nice price.. thats what im looking for. If blitz worked well for you in the past, then why change a good thing? S100 would be the next logical choice I guess.

imported_carnut00
03-21-2003, 04:43 PM
where can I read up on S100?

but Menzerna Final Polish is out of stock. is it nessesary ? or would the P21polish act as a similar substitute?

How is P21S Paste Car Wax?

raymond_ho2002
03-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by steez

where can I read up on S100?

How is P21S Paste Car Wax?

S100 is supposedly identical to p21s, according to practically everyone on this board. I haven`t heard anyone make an argument against that.

I liked s100 enough for me to actually stop using zaino altogether. It literally feels like i`m rubbing butter all over my car, and wipes off just as easily as it went on. I can do a car in about 15 - 20 minutes, as opposed to where with zaino i have to either spend an hour to wait for the stuff to cure, or spend 10 minutes to get Z into a syringe and shake up with zfx (which I dont have because of the 20 dollar price tag). I also cant really tell the difference in shine between z and s100. =P

imported_carnut00
03-21-2003, 05:48 PM
So I can use P21S instead? heres what im getting so far

Menzerna Intensive Polish (without using the "Final Polish")

followed up by P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (instead of the final polish) and

P21S Paste Car Wax as a topper

I really liked the way the P21S clensing lotion went on and off...hopefully the wax should be the same?

ease of application/removal, strong swirl removal/filling properties, residue amount and shine are most important.

thanks for the helpful tips peoples, ive read many posts on the Orange pad and cant seem to get a definite answer. If its more abrasive than it id go for it

Jademonkey
03-21-2003, 08:07 PM
The p21s wax is incredible. It goes on and off very easily, and gives a great shine. You will like it, everyone else does.

imported_Smoker
03-21-2003, 09:50 PM
S100 is identical to P21S ... just alot cheaper LOL.

Pop down to your local harley davidson dealer and pick up a tub.

$14 ......

Goes on like melted butter and rubs off soooo easy.

ahunt01
03-22-2003, 12:19 AM
How is durability, like compared to Zaino?

raymond_ho2002
03-22-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by ahunt01

How is durability, like compared to Zaino?

i`ve heard of people talking about their zaino going for almost a year with just one coat and the occasional z7 wash and z6 qd.

s100 would go for about 1 - 2 months (a lot depending on climate). I never wait longer than 3 or 4 weeks without putting on another coat just because its so easy.

imported_carnut00
03-22-2003, 02:20 PM
COol im definitly trying that wax.

im still stumped about the Menzerna Finishing polish, can I skip that step? (since its sold out at CMA). I wanted to use P21S polisih after the Menzerna. Then top with wax