PDA

View Full Version : BEST car wash soap?

Pages : [1] 2

clizunk03
03-20-2003, 10:20 PM
what is the best car wash soap/detergent for a white car? im new to this detailing stuff and my car has been neglected for a couple months now and theres some exhaust and brake dust "embedded" into my paint. i have to scrub extremely hard just to take off a little of it. is there some type of professional strength car wash soap i can use thatll remove this stuff and where would i buy it? thanks

procareman50
03-20-2003, 10:27 PM
You could try Meguiar`s GC car wash or P21S wash, then use a good clay bar to get the contaminants off the car.

shaf
03-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Welcome to Autopia. :)

Stick around, read the Member Articles, and download the eBook for lots of good info and more detailed answers - you won`t regret it! :xyxthumbs

Most car soaps do a fine job, even the cheap stuff. I usually suggest whatever smells nice to you. To get off embedded contamination in your paint though, you should absolutely not be trying to scrub it off using muscle power. Doing so may get it off, but will also cause horrible scratching. Most people use clay - easy to get and simple to use. Some others suggest the ABC system. Do a search and/or read the things I suggested above. You`ll find out all you will need to know and more.

Michaelwdes
03-21-2003, 12:27 AM
i went thru my GC soap today, so i bought a bottle of EO car soap (red stuff) and it was 2.99/gallon.

Cant beat the price.....but it worked well...water sheated off nicely. the only thing is it doesnt suds as much as the CG. so i just used 2 capfuls instead. in the end, still cheaper, w/ good results.:up

Nagchampa
03-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Turtle Wax carwash soap does just as good a job as most. It doesn`t matter what brand you use. Just go for what smells best or costs less.

hondaguy2582
03-21-2003, 01:33 AM
exactly, who would pay 10 bucks for 16 ozs of car wash, i sure wouldn`t. The only brand i use is the eagle one wet car wash, cheap as heck at 2.99, although id like to try some meguiars gc down the road!!!!!

clizunk03
03-21-2003, 02:26 AM
yea im using the gallon jug of turtle wax carwash...i was going to go buy the meguiars gold glass for like 10 bucks but i think im just gonna use this. i think im going to go to walmart and pick up some clay bars and some MF towels that i hear are on sale..thanks for the advice

Michaelwdes
03-21-2003, 04:46 AM
just keep the water sudsy!

imported_Aurora40
03-21-2003, 07:32 AM
My suggestion is to wash the car without a lot of effort or rubbing. If the "dust" doesn`t come off, use clay. Don`t try to aggressively wash the car. Just my opinion, though. I don`t think car wash is too color sensitive, though, as it is just meant to clean and not really enhance anything.

It`s funny that you are asking for a really strong carwash (and classify whatever is strongest as the "BEST car wash soap"), whereas most of us are always searching for a more gentle one. :D

I don`t think I would say "who would pay 10 bucks for 16 oz of carwash" though. To many people, having the right product, or the one they like the best/feel the most comfortable with, is more important than how much it costs. I mean, this is Autopia... ;)

Accumulator
03-21-2003, 11:21 AM
I may be alone on this, but I find that using a "better" carwash reduces washing-induced swirls. I used to use whatever was on sale, then I switched to Meg`s #62. After switching to Griot`s Car Wash (an extremely high-lubricity wash) I noticed a definite reduction in marring. It`s much "slipperier" than GC. The other day I decided to use up some of my old Westley`s car wash on the (very dirty) Volvo beater..bad idea, I marred it something fierce. Should`ve stuck with the Griot`s :(

jasonatv22
03-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Clay Magic is cheap at $10 at AutoZone.

As for car washes, I find EO Wet to be nice smelling enough and very gentle on my car. I`ve recently switched to a wool mitt which I like putting as little pressure on the car as possible. I also wash each section twice. The only part of my washing I want to change is getting to the 2 bucket method.

I would recommend using a poly rather than a carnuba on the car if it`s a daily driver. In my neck of the woods, there is much iron in the soil and if you don`t protect it, you`re car gets stained by it.

The clay should also get rid of that frosted glass look to your reflection. If this is a car new to you, I`d polish to get off oxidation before claying. The oxides will clog the clay and you might run out. My mother-in-law`s camry took 1.2 bars. Good thing I had some left over from doing my car earlier.

chris0626
03-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by clizunk03

i think im going to go to walmart and pick up some clay bars and some MF towels that i hear are on sale..thanks for the advice

Glad to see that you are listening, clizunk03! :xyxthumbs

From your description of the "feel" of the paint, it`s clear that claying is called for. Be sure you read the articles here, including Da Mayor`s recent "Cleaning with Clay" article at http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8593 and http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14212

Also, if you need further encouragement about claying, read some of the testimonials in the Detailing Archive at http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16218 -- which includes my own "Eureka" experience with clay.

But a word of warning. I too -- upon discovering Autopia and hearing "rave reviews" of MFs -- raced out to WalMart and bought them. I felt so righteous. Then I got some from Poorboy, Pakshak, and MF Tech. WOW!!! The plushness/softness of these is in a whole different league than you`ll find at WalMart. I encourage you to order some of these; once you feel and use them, I bet you`ll never buy another WalMart MF again.

RJJ
03-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Another vote for Griots wash, the best I have ever used, very-very slippery. Used alone it takes off tar!

clizunk03
03-21-2003, 08:40 PM
ok...after driving around to all the walmart(1 in my area), autozones, kragens, and pep boys in my area i have come back with 2 100%(?) Cotton Chenille Viking mits, 1 box of Clay Magic, and a couple MF towels. i will put these all to use hopefully if i have some free time.

On a side note, how does everyone feel about the California Car Duster? will it scratch my paint? i was thinking about buying one to cut down on the dirt that sits on my car in between washes..thanks

shaf
03-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by clizunk03

On a side note, how does everyone feel about the California Car Duster? will it scratch my paint? i was thinking about buying one to cut down on the dirt that sits on my car in between washes..thanks Please do a search on this. It`s been discussed just a few days ago, and a TON more in the past very very thoroughly. Thanks, and happy reading.