PDA

View Full Version : "feeding paint" i got this from zymol uk

03-19-2003, 07:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice that in your literature you mention feeding the paint. Can you please explain to me how you feed paint through a hard clear coat? many thanks, mark

Hi,

The HD-Cleanse process saturates the Clear Coat and accesses the base paint below with nutritive oils. The reason that cars with lacquered/clear coated surfaces look so bad eventually if not looked after, is that the clear coat which is a clear pigmentated paint actually oxidises as well. These look especially worse on metallic paint as the coat on top is what enhances the finish.

hope this answers your question

So zymol are saying that the HD actually goes through the clear coat to the base coat? Im not being thick here am i? this is what they are saying right?

forrest@mothers
03-19-2003, 07:59 AM
I hope what they are saying isn`t true. I think someone is (sadly) uninformed.

Cleaners clean the paint SURFACE. They don`t penetrate. I`ve always believed the "feeding" to mean coating the surface, not penetrating to the substrate.

imported_Page
03-19-2003, 08:11 AM
Mark,

I don`t want to go out on too much of a limb here, but many folks more knowledgable myself have stated that there is no way to "feed" paint. You can put oils on top of the paint, to make the surface look glossy, but no oils are actually pentrating into the paint and "feeding" it. I am not certain you would want oils penetrating through the clear anyway. I would think that if this were possible, that over time your basecoat would look smeared due to the buildup of all the "oils." Kind of like wax build up on furniture.

Just my 2 cents.

Lowejackson
03-19-2003, 02:52 PM
If if the paint product could penetrate the top coat, why would the undercoat need `feeding`, it is not organic. Also, how and why would you want to saturate the top coat?

I dont mind silly marketing, but on the face of it, this is either misleading or plain wrong. Trade Descriptions Act anyone?

Steven

imported_Smoker
03-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Hehe they dont have the Trade Descriptions Act here.

5 Minutes listening to american radio or watching TV and ya see each company saying how good their stuff is and how bad their competitors are LOL.

But to my knowledge, paint is an impermeable substance.

Once its cured, it dries rock hard on the outside and a LITTLE flexible on the colour coat.

Anyone who has seen what happens to paint on a plastic bumper will know if doesnt flex very much.

Also if it was permeable, micro-blistering wouldnt occur.

Yet it does .......

imported_stormsearch
03-19-2003, 08:10 PM
I think what you have here is a company that`s well aware of their ability to manipulate people`s perceptions of their product. This sort of misinformation works well in the auto arena for a number of reasons.

1. People are generally uninformed about cars. Even so-called car guys rarely take the time to learn how to properly take car of their baby. How many corvettes and mustangs have you seen swirled like crazy?

2. Like computers, people are scared of cars. They`re convinced that they are not smart enough or equipped to care for their car. Thus, Jiffy Lube and Brake Check make lots of money performing maintenance that the average father did on the family car 50 years ago.

3. Cars are so prohibitively expensive to maintain and Lord forbit; fix, that people are scared to death to do the wrong thing to their car.

So when a respected company like Zymol says "you have to feed your paint" people don`t check this statement for BS like they would me telling them, "You have to feed the paint in your Kitchen by spraying it with oil every few months".

It just takes a little thinking.

A. Your paint is likely at least a two stage finish: Base coat, and Top Coat.

B. Your finish was baked on in the factory to help cure it, and make it hard

C. You`ve probably observed water running off your car`s finish

So why would anyone believe that somehow oil could magically slip behind that 2 or 3 coat, hardened finish... AND then that would somehow be a good thing? This is misinformation that plays on people`s fears and lack of knowledge regarding their cars. Same story with the Tornado, Z-Max, and all those engine-additives.

schoi
03-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jem7vwh

1. People are generally uninformed about cars. Even so-called car guys rarely take the time to learn how to properly take car of their baby. How many corvettes and mustangs have you seen swirled like crazy?

Not my Corvette, bro. :xyxthumbs

ScrampaTeg03
03-19-2003, 11:59 PM
You can`t actually "feed" the paint, it is made up of a bunch of chemicals that may be enhanced by adding thin layers of products that will in a sense manipulate the paint to make it appear better (gloss, depth, clarity, etc). Someone care to build on what I am saying; I`m not an expert but from what I understand this is the basic idea.

-Brian

bigpoppa
03-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Polaris

Not my Corvette, bro. :xyxthumbs

nor mine:wavey

I think it is pretty accepted now that paint doesn`t "breathe" nor does it need to be "fed" oils. I`m not sure why they keep saying that.:nixweiss

YoSteve
03-20-2003, 12:49 AM
My paint is overfed and it`s full...of Klasse!

I haven`t checked the porosity of my clearcoat. It`s probably not too porous at least not all the way through (I hope!)

Lowejackson
03-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by ScrampaTeg03

You can`t actually "feed" the paint, it is made up of a bunch of chemicals that may be enhanced by adding thin layers of products that will in a sense manipulate the paint to make it appear better (gloss, depth, clarity, etc). Someone care to build on what I am saying; I`m not an expert but from what I understand this is the basic idea.

-Brian

There is no ingestion or absorption by the top coat, that I am aware of. RonK, who should have a good understanding of these things, always discounted such claims of feeding the paint as rubbish.

I would envisage wax etc sitting on top of the paint and chemically bonding on the surface, but my guess is it would take a very special product to behave as Zymol as claiming.

Steven