PDA

View Full Version : duster messed up my wax

imported_georgia boy
03-17-2003, 08:56 PM
i decided to dust off my ride when i noticed it was too dusty. and when i finished i realized that the duster messed up the shine on my ride. the duster made the waxed totally scratched up hardcore. anyone know why this happend?

Jngrbrdman
03-17-2003, 09:01 PM
I can tell you why that happened. Its going to be bluntly honest because its the same thing I did with my duster. You went too fast and you didn`t pay attention. I swirled the crap out of my car with my duster and I lit it up like a torch in my rage. I`ll never touch another one again because I seriously didn`t think I was being careless. I don`t trust myself with one of those. I`d rather wash it when it gets dusty than risk doing something like that. I`m a Cali Car Duster Retard. Keep em away from me....

George M.
03-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Yea, hate to say it, but the wax isnt scratched. Its the clear cote. :sosad You should try out some SMR on it, that should remove the swirls.

Just curious. Did u apply any pressure to the duster? Has it been on the ground or anything? Maybe you should trash it and buy another. Just be sure if your car is too dirty you wash. If it is a light dust like from being parked in a garage or pollen, the duster has always worked for me.

imported_georgia boy
03-17-2003, 09:31 PM
nah cos i could buff out the messed up parts of the wax with the duster with my shirt. i think it might of been the humidity mixed in with the warm weather?

Green Monster
03-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Some times when the surface of the car is hot the duster will smear/streak up the wax finish on the car.

Alittle detail spray or water on a microfiber towel will fix the problem. :xyxthumbs

George M.
03-17-2003, 09:41 PM
glad to hear the problem is figured out. The paraffin wax that the strands are coated in can smear easily. Espectially on windows.

imported_georgia boy
03-17-2003, 09:58 PM
thanks

Tim Lingor
03-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Sometimes if you use too much pressure the wax coating on the duster streaks or smears the paint. Just use some QD with a MF; it will come off easily. Next time, just use really light pressure while using the duster and shake it out often!:up

shaf
03-17-2003, 10:42 PM
As said, I think this may be due to either dusting a hot surface, or due to the duster not having been let sit in newspaper long enough (or both). The time I dusted my car`s warm hood it scared the heck out of me! Glad it didn`t cause any real damage.

nate010753
03-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Hmm, 4DSC, I didn`t know you had to let them sit in newspaper? Is that a trick or something I missed in the directions?

Jngrbrdman
03-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by dengsxr

Hmm, 4DSC, I didn`t know you had to let them sit in newspaper? Is that a trick or something I missed in the directions?

I don`t know that its written in the instructions. Its just an Autopian trick. ;) Letting it sit on newspaper sort of wicks the wax out of the strands and makes it easier to use.

evilplan
03-18-2003, 01:55 PM
lol...i actually looked at the instructions for the first time the other day after wondering why the CCD left streaks when i used it. And lo and behold, you`re supposed to leave it on newspaper for 48 hours before using. doh! :( :doh :angry :rolleyes:

i guess in my excitement i forgot to read them. But no worries, with a little QD, they come right off and your car is as good as new

shaf
03-18-2003, 03:57 PM
This just goes to show: RTFM! :D :spot

Hawkeye_TDI
03-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I can tell you why that happened. Its going to be bluntly honest because its the same thing I did with my duster. You went too fast and you didn`t pay attention. I swirled the crap out of my car with my duster and I lit it up like a torch in my rage. I`ll never touch another one again because I seriously didn`t think I was being careless. I don`t trust myself with one of those. I`d rather wash it when it gets dusty than risk doing something like that. I`m a Cali Car Duster Retard. Keep em away from me....

MEEE 2222!