PDA

View Full Version : detailing a car with no clear coat - should i be doing anything different?

jjagain
03-17-2003, 08:26 PM
I`ve got a good idea of how to detail a car with a clear coat. Is there anything that I should modify when detailing a car with no clear coat?

The car has not been well maintained either. I clayed it before and was getting some paint coming off on hte clay (car is dark purple - `95 lumina).

I was thinking of giving it a full treatment with the PC.

Am i going to get paint coming off onto the pads? how do i clean the pads?

Thanks

Tim

CharlesW
03-18-2003, 12:00 AM
While I am no expert, I have taken care of a few cars that did not have clearcoat.

1.) I`ve got a good idea of how to detail a car with a clear coat. Is there anything that I should modify when detailing a car with no clear coat?

For about 15 years, I have been treating the single stage lacquer on my 1981 Vette the same as I treat any of my vehicles.

2.) The car has not been well maintained either. I clayed it before and was getting some paint coming off on hte clay (car is dark purple - `95 lumina).

This surprises me. I would have thought a `95 GM would have had clearcoat. They certainly had enough of with the clearcoat coming off. Maybe just certain colors were single stage. Maybe the car has been repainted.

3.) I was thinking of giving it a full treatment with the PC.

Not knowing what your full treatment might be, that is up for some debate. The PC should be fine. Start with a mild cleaner and see what happens. Keep in mind that you do have to remove the dead pigment to restore the original shine. It is unlikely that you will go through the color coat of paint, but it is possible. Work a section for a while and then take another look at it. Sometimes the old paint is so far gone that a new paint job is the only solution.

It doesn`t sound like it would be a great loss if it doesn`t come out great. Just make sure the owner knows going in what could happen.

jjagain
03-18-2003, 01:41 PM
It surprised me too when i saw purple residue on my claybar!

"full treatment" would be a polish (Meguiar`s DACP), glaze, and wax.

2wheelsx2
03-18-2003, 02:03 PM
You can, for all intents in purposes, do the same things you do for non-cleared paint as for clearcoats. The only thing to watch out for is that the pad seems to load up with dead paint, and also, there will be lots of coloured dust. I did two red non-cleared cars, and everything in my garage had a fine layer of red dust, including me.